Rubina, Azhar’s day out with Sonia Gandhi, fashion week (Lead)March 19th, 2009 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS)All dressed up and smiling from ear-to-ear, Rubina Ali Qureshi and Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail Shaikh, the child stars of Oscar-winning film “Slumdog Millionaire”, Thursday met Congress president Sonia Gandhi and also walked the ramp at a premier fashion week.
“Soniaji today met the kids who had acted in ‘Slumdog Millionaire’,” Congress media secretary Tom Vadakkan told IANS. Rubina (9) and Azharuddin (10) met Gandhi at her 10, Janpath official residence.
Congress spokesperson Abhsek Manu Singhvi, while replying to a question on whether the children would campaign for the party in the run-up to the Lok Sabha polls, said: “It was a meeting of love and affection. Nothing more should be read into this.”
However, another senior Congress leader didn’t rule out the possibility of the children being roped in for the campaign.
Later Thursday Rubina and Azharuddin walked the ramp for for designers Ashima and Leena Singh on the second day of the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW) here.
Rubina and Azharuddin have been in the public eye after the film by British director Danny Boyle lifted eight Oscars, including two for music maestro A.R. Rahman, apart from picking up a number of other international awards.
- Little Rubina, Azhar have date with Sonia Gandhi - Mar 19, 2009
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' kids give letter of request to Sonia Gandhi (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
- Slumdog children meet Sonia Gandhi at her residence - Mar 19, 2009
- Azhar gave us new lease of life: 'Slumdog' star's mother (Interview) - Mar 20, 2009
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' kids dance to 'Jai Ho' at WIFW (With Images) - Mar 19, 2009
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- 'Slumdog..' stars Rubina, Azhar to act in Hollywood movie - Jun 12, 2010
- 'Slumdog...' star Azharuddin to tell his story in English - Jun 13, 2010
- 'Slumdog' kids back in shanties - with Oscar dreams - Mar 02, 2011
- Walking the ramp is fun for me: Sharmila Tagore - Aug 09, 2012
- Designers happy as business takes front seat at WIFW (Review) - Apr 11, 2011
- Sharmila Tagore to walk for Ashima-Leena at DCW (With Image) - Aug 05, 2012
- Sex worker's life lights up the Fashion Week ramp - Feb 18, 2012
- Fire rages through 'Slumdog Millionaire' actors' previous homes - Mar 05, 2011
- Oscar fame kids may be gifted government flats in Mumbai - Feb 24, 2009
Tags: ali qureshi, ashima, azhar, azharuddin, british director, child stars, congress leader, congress president sonia gandhi, director danny boyle, india fashion week, international awards, leena singh, lok sabha polls, love and affection, media secretary, mohammed ismail, music maestro, public eye, rubina, wills lifestyle india fashion week