Royal Mail to issue stamps to celebrate history of RAF uniformsSeptember 14th, 2008 - 4:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 14 (ANI): A new set of six stamps is being issued by the Royal Mail to mark the 90th anniversary of the RAF.
The three first-class stamps and three 81p stamps are to be released on Thursday, and will celebrate the history of RAF uniforms since 1918.
Starting in 2007 with the famous RAF blue uniform of a drum major from the RAF’’s Central Band on a first-class stamp, and ending with a leather-clad pilot from 1918 on an
81p stamp, the stamps appear in reverse chronological order.
“The stamps are a striking collection, which celebrates and charts the history of RAF uniforms. The uniforms combine practicality with instant recognition across the military
forces, worldwide for the RAF. The issue coincides with the service’’s 90th anniversary and celebrates the many aspects of the RAF; from pilots to plotters and from
winchman to drum major,” Telegraph quoted Julietta Edgar, the head of special stamps at the Royal Mail, as saying.
RAF Uniforms is the second in the Military Uniforms series that looks at the history of clothing and equipment worn by servicemen and women, and follows last year’’s
British Army Uniforms.
The series will conclude with Royal Navy Uniforms in 2009. (ANI)
- Royal Mail to release Wills-Kate stamps to celebrate royal wedding - Mar 29, 2011
- Prince William to wear military uniform for wedding - Feb 01, 2011
- Jimmy Page launches set of stamps featuring classic album covers - Jan 07, 2010
- RAF holds staff course to beat fear of flying - Apr 21, 2011
- Royal Mail turns down 'rude' Bamforth postcard stamps - Apr 08, 2011
- Red telephone box makes it to new postage stamp series in UK - Dec 29, 2008
- Price William saves man's life in chopper rescue mission - Nov 22, 2010
- New stamps on 100th anniversary of Titanic disaster - Apr 05, 2012
- Medvedev to meet World War II veterans - May 08, 2011
- Ex-servicemen to invigilate in Himachal school exams - Feb 25, 2012
- Millions to celebrate 'People's Royal Wedding' on April 29! - Nov 24, 2010
- Female RAF pilot flying combat jets over Libya against Gaddafi's forces - Mar 23, 2011
- Prince William undertakes first air-sea rescue mission with RAF - Oct 06, 2010
- Patil opens World Philatelic Exhibition in Delhi - Feb 12, 2011
- Lost WWI diary reveals horrors of battle - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: 1918, 90th anniversary, british army, british army uniforms, class stamp, edgar, first class stamps, history of clothing, london, military forces, military uniforms, pilot, plotters, practicality, raf, reverse chronological order, royal mail, royal navy uniforms, striking collection, telegraph