Rosa performs with Blades, GuerraApril 2nd, 2012 - 11:41 am ICT by IANS
San Juan, April 2 (IANS/EFE) Puerto Rican Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Draco Rosa appeared for the first time onstage since he was diagnosed with cancer in April 2011, performing alongside Latin music giants Ruben Blades and Juan Luis Guerra.
Friday night’s concert before more than 13,500 people in the Jose M. Agrelot Coliseum in San Juan and produced by Angelo Medina began with the Panamanian Blades’ signature number “Patria” (Homeland) with Rosa and Guerra joining in.
The Central American artist then brought several couples to their feet dancing salsa in the main area of the coliseum with “Amor y Control” (Love and Control).
Panama’s former tourism minister and attorney continued his segment of the show singing “La Caina” (Heartless Woman) and “Yo Puedo Vivir del Amor” (I Can Live on Love) by Puerto Rico’s acclaimed blind musician Jose Feliciano.
The second part of the concert belonged to Guerra, one of the top winners of Latin Grammy awards, who came on with “Como Yo” (Like Me) and his renowned “La Bilirrubina” (Bile).
Guerra went on to sing “La Guagua” (The Bus) and “En El Cielo No Hay Hospital” (There’s No Hospital in Heaven), his latest single, and “La Cosquillita” (Ticklish Girl).
The Dominican artist, known for his message of faith and Christian beliefs, said that Draco Rosa is recovering from the cancer that was diagnosed in April 2011.
Draco Rosa, who is in treatment for cancer, a non-Hodgkin lymphoma in the lower abdomen near the liver, added a romantic touch to the evening with “Noche Fria” (Cold Night) and made his first statement to his waiting fans.
“I’ve really missed being on the island so this is a very special night. I’m so grateful. Thank God above all and I thank you for keeping in touch. I read everything, the good energy and the good vibes. I’m staying positive, there’s a lot of hope here,” he said.
The artist continued the evening in a kind of euphoria as he sang “Penelope” and “Aleluya”.
- Juan Luis Guerra brings Caribbean rhythms to Chile - Oct 09, 2011
- Dominican singer to begin world tour - Jul 11, 2011
- My music supports social causes: Dominican singer - Nov 25, 2011
- Ex-Menudo member Robi Draco Rosa diagnosed with cancer - Apr 29, 2011
- Happy to be alive after cancer treatment: Puerto Rican singer - Jun 21, 2011
- Ricky Martin fans to celebrate his 40th birthday - Dec 24, 2011
- Shakira wraps up world tour in Puerto Rico - Oct 16, 2011
- Spanish singer honoured in Las Vegas - May 29, 2011
- Ricky Martin wraps up world tour - Nov 14, 2011
- Puerto Rican band taps Oscar winner to direct video - Apr 17, 2012
- Actress Roselyn Sanchez is pregnant - Aug 13, 2011
- Ruben Blades, Cheo Feliciano release salsa CD - May 31, 2012
- Juanes to record acoustic music special for MTV - Dec 07, 2011
- An actor who gets song ideas from TV role - Jun 01, 2011
- Don Omar tops Latin songs chart with `Taboo' - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: aleluya, amor y control, angelo medina, blind musician, caina, draco rosa, good vibes, grammy awards, heartless woman, jose feliciano, juan luis guerra, latin grammy awards, lower abdomen, music giants, non hodgkin lymphoma, romantic touch, ruben blades, signature number, ticklish girl, tourism minister