Ron Franklin Axed From ESPN Fiesta Bowl For Calling Jeannine Edwards “Sweetcakes”January 4th, 2011 - 6:58 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Jan 4, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Renowned sportscaster Ron Franklin has been removed from ESPN Radio’s coverage after his reported dispute with sideline reporter Jeannine Edwards. The media outlets are abuzz with the news that Ron Franklin called Jeannine Edwards “sweet-cakes”, when she was trying to talk to other ESPN announcers at their pre-game meeting. However, when the reporter asked the sportscaster not to speak in that fashion, Ron Franklin hurled abuses at her.
Ron Franklin was the play-by-play announcer for 2011 Fiesta Bowl but after the incident, the network executives pulled him out of his job. However, the spokesperson of the network said that the officials immediately wanted to replace him from the Fiesta Bowl but could not do so on Friday as they did not get any replacement. However, on Saturday, he was replaced by another sportscaster. Ron Franklin and Jeannie Edwards were supposed to work together for Chik-fil-A Bowl on Friday. However, during a pre-game meeting of the team, the sideline reporter tried to say something to Ed Cunningham and Rod Gilmore when she was interrupted by Ron Franklin. The former anchor of “ESPN College Football Primetime” told her that she should leave the matter the “boys”.
Jeannie Edwards immediately replied to the comment and asked him to stop calling her “sweet cakes”. Later, in a statement, Ron Franklin apologized for his comment and stated that he should not have said such thing. He also stated that he deserves to be taken out of Fiesta Bowl. The media outlets report that this is not the first time that he is involved in such sexist comment to her female colleagues. Previously, in 2005 he called reporter Holly Rowe “sweetheart” and later he has to apologize for it.
- ESPN Fires Ron Franklin Over Sexist Remarks - Jan 06, 2011
- ESPN Broadcaster Ron Franklin Fired - Jan 05, 2011
- 'Sunday Night Baseball's Joe Morgan, Jon Miller Set To Be Replaced By ESPN - Nov 09, 2010
- Erin Andrews' Peephole Video Resurfaces - Oct 25, 2010
- ESPN drops Ron Jaworski from Monday Night Football booth - Feb 16, 2012
- Ron Howard To Direct "24" Movie? - Feb 05, 2011
- Elizabeth Hasselbeck Apologizes To Erin Andrews - May 08, 2010
- Erin Andrews' Contract Might End With ESPN - Jun 26, 2010
- Erin Andrews Signs New Contract With ESPN - Jul 13, 2010
- TNT Offers Apology For Tracy Morgan’s Inappropriate Comment On Sarah Palin - Jan 28, 2011
- Keith Olbermann leaves MSNBC after nearly eight years - Jan 22, 2011
- ESPN fires Hank Williams from 'Monday Night Football' - Oct 06, 2011
- Kiwi bowler Franklin replaces Bennett for India series - Nov 09, 2010
- Hannah Storm's Attire Suspends Tony Kornheiser - Feb 24, 2010
- Erin Andrews Peephole Video Leaked Again On Internet - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: chik fil a bowl, ed cunningham, espn, espn announcers, espn college football, espn radio, female colleagues, fiesta bowl, gina gomez, holly rowe, jeannie, jeannine edwards, media outlets, network executives, play by play, primetime, ron franklin, sideline reporter, sweet cakes, sweetcakes