Ron Clark Academy Gets Generous Donation From Oprah WinfreyDecember 18th, 2009 - 9:02 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Dec. 18, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Oprah Winfrey has proved once more that it is not only her name that is big, her heart is too. Recently, she has doled out to the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta in Georgia, the massive amount of 1.5 million dollars. In fact, this is not the first time that she is being a friend to the school. Just a year back, she had donated $365,000 to the school. She had also helped the school gain benefactors indirectly by inviting the founder, Ron Clark, twice on her show.
The Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta is situated in the innermost regions of the city, and also the poorest. The question comes to mind as to why Oprah Winfrey chose to help out this particular school. The reason probably lies in the very reason the school was founded. The founder, who is also a celebrated author of non fiction writings, established the school with the aim of providing education to those who would normally be deprived of it, for financial reasons. Evidently an aim close to the heart of the talk show host whose generosity is her signature.
The Ron Clark Academy runs mostly on the money that it receives in the way of donation. Unfortunately, in this age of recession, donations fell short,a and the school teetered on the verge of bankruptcy. Lat year, Oprah Winfrey came to the aid with her generous helping of dollars. However, it seemed that it was not enough, and the school needed another donation to meet its budget of 2.8 million dollars. Oprah Winfrey’s latest donation will be used in building a cafeteria, a theater and a gymnasium.
- Oprah Winfrey donates $1.5 m to Atlanta school - Dec 18, 2009
- Oprah Winfrey's $40 Million Charity Makes Her The Most Charitable Celebrity - Dec 12, 2010
- Oprah connects to Jaipur with salwar-kameez, social message (With Image) - Jan 22, 2012
- Winfrey to teach school students - Jul 07, 2011
- Winfrey sends her 'thoughts and prayers' to Australian flood victims - Jan 21, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey not planning to support Obama openly in 2012 - Apr 08, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey plans to be a high school teacher - Jul 07, 2011
- Former matron of Winfrey's school cleared of sexual abuse charges - Oct 12, 2010
- Oprah has a doctorate now! - Jun 27, 2011
- Oprah's warmth bowls over B-town celebs - Jan 17, 2012
- Kathy Freston Featured In "Oprah Winfrey Show" - Feb 02, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey donates PS243k to Atlanta school - Jan 03, 2009
- Winfrey receives Oscar statuette - Nov 13, 2011
- Big B turns 'chauffer' for Oprah Winfrey - Jan 17, 2012
- Oprah Winfrey Hates Disabled People? - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: 5 million, aim, atlanta in georgia, benefactors, cafeteria, celebrated author, dey, fiction writings, generosity, generous donation, gymnasium, innermost regions, madhuri, million dollars, non fiction, oprah winfrey, recession, ron clark academy, talk show host, verge