Romantic comedy, music with soul on Ali Zafar’s mindFebruary 16th, 2011 - 10:12 am ICT by IANS
By Ruchika Kher
Mumbai, Feb 16 (IANS) He entered Bollywood with the small budget, quirky “Tere Bin Laden”, but Pakistani singer-actor Ali Zafar will be seen next with Katrina Kaif and Imran Khan in a typical romantic comedy. He will also focus on his first love - music.”The film is a romantic comedy, a very family kind of set-up. Imran and me play brothers. I’m a very charming and flamboyant guy in the film who is very confused about what he wants from life,” Ali Zafar told IANS in an interview.
And he is all praise for co-star Katrina Kaif, one of the reigning divas in Bollywood.
“It was a very good experience working with Katrina. She is a very hardworking person and was extremely cooperative and fun on the sets,” he said.
“Mere Brother Ki Dulhan” is a Yash Raj Films’ production and is being directed by debutant Ali Abbas Zafar. “Tere Bin Laden” was also director Abhishek Sharma’s first film. So why is Ali Zafar signing up with newcomers?
“One hardly comes across good scripts. I have heard about 50 scripts since ‘Tere Bin Laden’. Then finally I liked ‘Mere Brother…’. Recently I have signed another film but I can’t talk about that. The makers will make an announcement soon,” he revealed.
Ali, who has worked as a model for several commercials in Pakistan, has also acted in Pakistani TV serials “Lunda-Bazar”, “Kanch Ke Par” and teenage sitcom “Kollege Jeans”.
Films apart, Ali is also focussing on music, his first love. The musician’s new album “Jhoom” was recently released by Yash Raj Music in India and worldwide and by Ali’s own label Alif Records in Pakistan.
“This time I have tried to make timeless music rather than something that is interesting only for a week or so. I made what my heart liked and not what I felt would be popular in the market,” said Ali, who has earlier released two albums titled “Huqa Pani” and “Masty”.
“As far as inspirations are concerned, I was just thinking that the music that is created today, the soul is missing, secondly it doesn’t touch a chord and thirdly it has no shelf life. So I wanted the music that I compose has all of the above.”
“Initially I was driven by the commercial aspect of music; now it’s driven more by the spiritual aspect,” he added.
“Jhoom”, which has 12 tracks, took the musician three years to complete.
Even though the market for non-film albums is not booming at the moment, Ali is unfazed by the trend and says he will keep trying and hope for greener pastures.
“I’m a singer, my job is to keep creating music, I can’t get bogged down by the market scenario or commerce of it. I could have been if I was looking for money, but I’m not looking for money from this album.
“I’m looking to earning respect from this album. Nowadays I know releasing a non-film album is not very favourable, I wish it was. Music channels are not playing the songs, but I think it’s our responsibility as artists that we don’t stop doing something we believe in. I feel if you are sincere towards your music it just finds it’s way into people’s hearts,” said Ali.
(Ruchika Kher can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Ali Zafar hunts for new face for music video (With Images) - Jul 27, 2011
- 'Mere Brother...' inspired by matrimonial ads: Director - Aug 18, 2011
- 'Mere Brother Ki Dulhan' - a twisted tale of love (IANS Preview) - Sep 07, 2011
- 'Mere Brother Ki Dulhan's music interplay of folk and fun (IANS Music Review) - Aug 12, 2011
- Aditya Chopra Signs Ali Zafar Alongside Imran And Katrina - Aug 18, 2010
- All the best Ali, says KJo (Movie Snippets) - Sep 06, 2011
- Ali Zafar Saves Katrina Kaif From A Hair Scare - Oct 25, 2010
- Ali Zafar turns guitar teacher for Katrina Kaif - Aug 10, 2011
- 'Mere Brother Ki Dulhan' flounders right through (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Sep 10, 2011
- Meet hot-headed Katrina in 'Mere Brother Ki Dulhan' - Nov 03, 2010
- Ali Zafar To Star In David Dhawan's Next - Oct 19, 2010
- 'New directors, social media creating fresh Pakistani cinema' - Feb 01, 2012
- Katrina slaps Imran 16 times! - Aug 10, 2011
- 'Mere Brother...' actors set to rehearse for live gigs - Jul 15, 2011
- Even for biggest of stars, every film counts: Imran Khan (Interview) - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: ali abbas, ali zafar, co star, comedy music, divas, dulhan, films production, first love, good experience, imran khan, inspirations, katrina kaif, pakistani singer, pani, romantic comedy, sitcom, tere bin, timeless music, tv serials, yash raj films