Roman Polanski moves closer to extradition after appeal lossApril 23rd, 2010 - 10:32 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, April 23 (DPA) Roman Polanski moved closer to extradition from Switzerland to the US when he lost his court bid Thursday to be sentenced in absentia for his 1977 conviction for having sex with a 13-year-old girl.
Lawyers for Polanski had argued that the original proceedings were tainted by illegal collusion between prosecutors and the now deceased trial judge.
But Appeals Judge Peter Spinoza rejected the bid, saying Polanski’s lawyers “failed to demonstrate that the trial court lacked the discretion” to refuse to allow him to be sentenced in absentia, according to a statement posted on the Second Court of Appeals’ website.
Polanski, 76, is currently under house arrest in Switzerland awaiting the outcome of the extradition process. He fled from the US before sentencing in 1977 after pleading guilty to unlawful sex with a minor.
His lawyers argue that he only absconded when he learned that the judge, Laurence J. Rittenband, intended to deviate from a plea deal that would have seen him sentenced to just the 42 days he had already served in jail for psychiatric evaluation.
- No cover-up in Polanski's sex case, say US prosecutors - Mar 31, 2010
- Roman Polanski to be released on bail - Nov 25, 2009
- Roman Polanski will not be sentenced in absentia, says judge - Jan 23, 2010
- Polanski's lawyers seek dismissal of child sex case - Dec 13, 2009
- Court hearing in Polanski case scheduled Dec 10 - Nov 03, 2009
- New allegations of sexual abuse against Roman Polanski - May 15, 2010
- California court rejects Polanski bid to throw out case - Dec 22, 2009
- Swiss free Polanski, refuse US extradition plea (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Roman Polanski speaks on sex scandal - May 04, 2010
- Polanski prosecutors want sex case to continue despite victim's pleas - Apr 19, 2010
- Roman Polanski's plea to have child-sex case dismissed rejected - Dec 22, 2009
- US disappointed by Swiss freeing of Polanksi - Jul 13, 2010
- Polanski's lawyer orders Swiss authorities to release the director - Apr 26, 2010
- Roman Polanski's LA attorneys blast his French lawyer - Nov 24, 2009
- Polanski's trial could take place in his absence - Dec 23, 2009
Tags: appeals judge, collusion, conviction, court of appeals, discretion, dpa, extradition, having sex, house arrest, lawyers, old girl, plea deal, proceedings, prosecutors, psychiatric evaluation, roman polanski, spinoza, switzerland, trial court, trial judge