Rohit Roy reprises Big B’s role in ‘Abhimaan’ adaptationApril 20th, 2009 - 9:58 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 20 (IANS) Actor-director Rohit Roy is all set to step into Amitabh Bachchan’s shoes for the Bengali adaptation of 1973 hit film “Abhimaan”, best remembered for its songs like “Teri bindiya re” and superlative performances by the Big B and Jaya Bachchan.
“I’m doing a major project called ‘Pa Ma Ga Re Sa’, which is a modern musical love story. It will be my first Bengali film and it is special because it is based on ‘Abhimaan’. It is basically an adaptation of the film,” Rohit told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
“The film has Gauri Karnik, who was seen in ‘Sur’ before. And former Miss India (Earth) Reshmi Ghosh will be seen as the other woman. It is being directed by Surajit Dhar,” he added.
The first schedule of the film has already been shot and Rohit, who has recently stepped in as the host of the third season of TV dance reality show “Jhalak Dikkhla Jaa”, will soon head to Kolkata to shoot a few more scenes of it.
Rohit has joined “Jhalak…” midway and is co-hosting the show with TV actress Shweta Tiwari.
“This show is very close to my heart. I watched the first season, hosted the second and now I’m hosting the third mid-way. I think even the producers have grown to like me and I’m really excited to be back on the host’s seat,” he said.
On the Bollywood front, the actor has a bouquet of films like “Mittal Vs Mittal”, “Apartment” and “Alibaug” in his kitty. And the actor, who had made his first stint with the arclights with popular TV show “Swabhimaan”, is excited about essaying different roles in each of these movies.
“In ‘Mittal Vs Mittal’, I’m playing an abusive husband to Rituparna Sengupta, in Jagmohan Mundra’s ‘Apartment’, I’m playing a very jovial, guy-next-door sort of a role and in ‘Alibaug’, my role is of a doctor who cheats on his wife. As an actor, I can’t draw a line and decide a set kind of roles that I want to do, I have to be diverse and I am enjoying doing it,” said Rohit, who also featured in hit film “Shootout At Lokhandwala”.
Besides this, he is also toying with the idea of scripting his next directorial venture, which will be a remake of Basu Chatterjee’s 1981 classic “Shaukeen”.
Chatterjee’s film, about the adventures of three old men in Goa, starred Ashok Kumar, Utpal Dutt and A.K. Hangal, but Rohit’s “grand wishlist” for the cast of his “glamorous” version of the film includes Rishi Kapoor, Naseeruddin Shah and Boman Irani.
“We are trying to finish the scripting of this mad comedy. Though the idea of the film will be based on ‘Shaukeen’, the reason for their adventures would change and the setting would be more glamorous - maybe they would go to Las Vegas instead of Goa.
“As for the cast, I hope these people in my wish list would want to work in the film after hearing the script,” said Rohit.
- A.K. Hangal cremated - Aug 26, 2012
- Rohit Roy wanted Hangal for 'Shaukeen' remake (Movie Snippets) - Aug 27, 2012
- Bipasha to do 'Shaukeen' remake - Jun 15, 2012
- I'm not going back to TV: Prachi Desai - May 12, 2012
- Ranbir gives Bengali a shot (Movie Snippets) - Sep 06, 2012
- A.K.Hangal: Once an actor, always an actor (Obituary) - Aug 26, 2012
- Madhuri in disguise at Taj (Movie Snippet) (With Image) - Jul 08, 2012
- Madhuri's 'Gulab Gang' goes on floors in October - Aug 09, 2012
- I Have always felt as a director that half your battle is won if you cast the right actors in the right roles- Karan Razdan - Mar 30, 2010
- Rohit Roy faces court trouble over Abhimaan remake plans - May 11, 2009
- Bengal writers, artistes delighted at Pranab as president - Jul 25, 2012
- Sex comedy in B-town: Audiences ready, censors alert - Jul 23, 2012
- I can't do what Mr. Bachchan did in KBC: Prosenjit - Mar 06, 2011
- TV actor Manish Paul turns con man for debut movie - Jul 20, 2012
- Shekhar Suman wants Sunny Leone for 'Heartless' - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: abusive husband, alibaug, amitabh bachchan, arclights, bengali film, close to my heart, dhar, gauri karnik, jaya bachchan, mid way, miss india, mittal, mundra, popular tv show, reshmi ghosh, rituparna sengupta, rohit roy, shweta tiwari, third season, tv actress