Rockers are treated like orphans: Suraj Jagan (With Image)July 9th, 2012 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) Singer Suraj Jagan, one of the pioneers of the Indian rock scene, says the genre is not readily accepted by masses and rockers all over world have been treated like orphans.
“Rockers in general have always been treated like orphans world over. They have had to struggle a lot more when as compared to any other genre,” Suraj told IANS.
“Rockers don’t think it for making commercial. If it becomes commercial, it’s good. There are some other genres that are like that but I can speak only for rock because that is where I am connected to,” added Suraj, who has leant voice to more than 200 jingles including the “You & I in this beautiful world” for Hutch.
Talking about the acceptability of rock genre, he added: “Many people think, what the hell is this? But the youth can connect with energy. And now Bollywood is also opening to it.”
An accidental singer, the 45-year-old welcomes the change in filmdom and says the current experimental phase is because of the new entrants.
“The film industry is ever evolving and I feel very happy about the changes. A lot of youth and new talent are coming in the industry. And that’s the reason we are seeing so many new forms of music and experiments,” said the singer known for singing hits like “Give me some sunshine”, “Sadka kiya” and “Aafaton ke parinde”.
Farhan Akhtar and Karan Johar have contributed to the changing scenario, he feels.
“Farhan and Karan support young talent and they don’t hesitate to experiment. They are responsible for bringing the change in the industry. I don’t care if it is rock or not but I am happy to see the experiment.
“Experiments and changes are important. Otherwise everything becomes stagnant and boring. It is not just music that I am talking about, the kinds of films that are made now are also quite different,” he said.
He recently gave voice to the first ever Gujarati rock song, titled “Pankhida”, for the Gujarati movie “Kevi Rite Jaish”.
- Suraj Jagan sings first Gujrati rock song (With Image) - Jun 14, 2012
- Proving yourself biggest challenge: Suraj Jagan (Movie Snippets) - Aug 24, 2012
- Star power does help get eyeballs: Karan Mehra - Mar 22, 2012
- I want to take 'Don' forward: Farhan Akhtar - Dec 20, 2011
- I trained with rats for 'Life of Pi': DU student Suraj Sharma (Interview) - Sep 11, 2012
- Bollywood not obligated to absorb TV talent: Babul Supriyo - Jul 13, 2012
- Working with new directors learning experience: Ritesh Sidhwani - Jun 05, 2012
- Farhan Akhtar running for role - Jan 17, 2012
- B-Town showers love, birthday blessings on Farhan - Jan 09, 2012
- Music beyond Bollywood - in Coke Studio (With Images) - Jun 14, 2011
- 'Delhi Belly' shook viewers' minds, opened them: Rakesh Bedi - May 21, 2012
- Bollywood has room for singers from all over: Shafqat Amanat Ali - Sep 11, 2012
- Directors pick the mighty pen, scriptwriters wonder why! - Jun 23, 2011
- Clarkson prefers comfort over style - May 29, 2012
- Playing dumb fun for Shivshakti Sachdev (With Image) - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,