‘Robot’ comparable to ‘Sholay’: RajnikantAugust 15th, 2010 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 15 (IANS) Southern superstar Rajnikant, who leaves audiences in awe with his implausible stunts and unique styles, says his forthcoming sci-fi movie “Robot” is the first Indian film of its type and that every aspect of it is comparable to cult Hindi movie “Sholay”.
“Around Rs.160 crore has been invested to make the film. It’s fantastic; technical excellence is there. ‘Sholay’ made history not because of the money or budget involved, not because it was a multi-starrer, not because of the technicalities, but because of its subject. The way Salim-Javed had written it, the way Ramesh Sippy directed the film, the way human emotions were created, the character Veeru, Jay, Basanti…
“Like ‘Sholay’, in ‘Robot’ too there is an excellent storyline, excellent character sketches. This is the first Indian story of its type. It’s science fiction and excellently made,” Rajnikanth told reporters at the music release of “Robot” at JW Marriot Saturday.
Director Shankar has made the movie bilingual as “Robot” in Hindi and “Endhiran” in Tamil. Aishwarya Rai plays the female lead opposite Rajnikant in both the versions.
The actor says he accepted such a tough and challenging role only because of his trust in director Shankar, with whom he gave the blockbuster “Sivaji”.
“Shankar is an excellent technician and one of the best directors of India who can mix the class and commercial elements very well. I did ‘Sivaji’ with him and I trust him completely, so I agreed to do the film - else I would have not done the film as it is a very tough and challenging role,” said Rajnikant.
First Kamal Haasan was supposed to do the role and even Shah Rukh Khan was approached.
When asked about that, Rajni enthralled the press with his witty reply: “‘Daane daane pe likha hai khane wale ka Naam’.”
The music was launched by Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan and his entire family was present on the occasion.
“Thank you so much for inviting me and giving me the honour and privilege of releasing the audio of this much talked about film. I am very privileged because I have a long association with Rajni. There is no doubt in my mind that he is indeed son of the soil and he is the person who is greatly, greatly loved and admired by every Indians,” said Big B at the launch.
Rajnikant, too, remembered his long association with Big B and said: “Amitji is my inspiration and I can’t forget the films I did with him - ‘Andhaa Kaanoon’, ‘Giraftar’ and ‘Hum’. I can’t forget the love, affection, care he showed towards me at that time. Thank you very much the evergreen Amitji.”
- Ash, Rajnikant's 'Endhiram' set for Sep 3 release? - Jun 25, 2010
- Filmmaker Shankar never forgets the common man: Aishwarya Rai (Interview) - Sep 25, 2010
- 'Robot' - Rajnikanth scores again (IANS Movie Review- Rating:***) - Oct 01, 2010
- Scripts, dialogues true actors of a film: Big B - Apr 03, 2012
- Aishwarya looks smashing in 'Robot': Big B - Oct 05, 2010
- 'Robot' makes my wild imagination come true: Shankar - Sep 26, 2010
- No place for Holi songs in Bollywood anymore? - Mar 20, 2011
- 'Endhiran' almost complete, is full of surprises: director Shankar (With Images) - Jan 05, 2010
- S. Shankar On Endhiran - Sep 30, 2010
- 35 years on, the 'Sholay' fire still burns - Jul 24, 2010
- Rajnikant to hold special 'Robot' screening for Bachchans (Movie snippets) - Oct 04, 2010
- Vasu remaking Kannada hit 'Aaptha Rakshaka' in Telugu - Apr 11, 2010
- 'We Are Family' homage to both Soorajji and Karan: Siddharth Malhotra - Aug 11, 2010
- Big B's commitment bowls over Gulshan Grover - May 03, 2012
- Is A.R. Rahman losing his way in Kollywood? - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: aishwarya rai, amitabh bachchan, best directors, blockbuster, character sketches, commercial elements, director shankar, hindi movie, human emotions, indian film, javed, jw marriot, kamal haasan, megastar, music release, rajni, rajnikant, sci fi, shah rukh khan, sivaji