Riteish very much part of ‘Rann’: Ram Gopal VarmaJanuary 21st, 2009 - 9:49 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 21 (IANS) Filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma has clarified that actor Riteish Deshmukh is very much a part of his media-based film “Rann” despite the controversy that erupted following their visit to the Taj hotel after the Mumbai terror attacks.The relationship with Reteish remains untarnished, Varma maintains.
“Why should it change? Riteish and I knew exactly what happened. When we visited the Taj we had no intention of exploiting the visit by making a film. What happened was not in our control,” the director says.
The duo had accompanied Riteish’s father Vilasrao Deshmukh, who was then the Maharashtra chief minister, when he went to inspect the hotel in the wake of the Nov 26-29 carnage.
The presence of the duo had been frowned upon as it was viewed as an opportunistic way of gathering background material for a film.
Ironically, Riteish who plays a TV journalist in “Rann”, has been quoted as saying of Varma: “Hang him if he ever does a film on 26/11.”
Varma’s retort to this was: “Please praise me if I ever do.”
Now, all that is in the past.
“We said sorry to each other. Neither of us is a politician. He’s an actor and I’m a director. The best thing is to forget what happened and move on,” Varma said.
- RGV announces film on 26/11 terror attack - Dec 13, 2011
- Bollywood mourns Vilasrao Deshmukh - Aug 14, 2012
- Riteish wants to keep his wedding private affair - Dec 15, 2011
- Dilip, Saira give hand impression for Riteish's museum - Feb 02, 2012
- Vilasrao Deshmukh's death very unexpected: SRK - Aug 14, 2012
- 'Agyaat' smoking scene cut for TV: Ram Gopal Varma - Jul 26, 2009
- 'Why the fuss?' asks Deshmukh after taking RGV to Taj hotel - Dec 01, 2008
- Our marriage not behind 'Tere Naal...' success: Riteish - Mar 03, 2012
- Riteish goes by audiences choice, accepts funny films - Jun 24, 2011
- Sting operations are fun: Riteish Deshmukh - Jan 26, 2010
- Deshmukh visit to Taj with Ram Gopal sparks anger (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2008
- No plans to make movie on 27/11: Ram Gopal Varma - Dec 01, 2008
- Genelia-Riteish prepare for love and movies ever after - Jan 22, 2012
- 'Rann' is a men's film: Ram Gopal Varma - Jan 05, 2010
- Randhir, Rishi Kapoor created nostalgia: Riteish - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: background material, based film, carnage, controversy, intention, jan 21, maharashtra chief minister, mumbai, politician, presence, ram gopal varma, rann, relationship, retort, riteish deshmukh, taj hotel, terror, tv journalist, vilasrao deshmukh