Rip Torn Requests For Probation Instead Of JailJuly 14th, 2010 - 8:20 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
July 14, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): Rip Torn, the actor well known for his acting skills in films like the ‘Men in Black’ is now desperately trying to project the image of a sober man.
He had been caught while trying to break into the Salisbury branch of the Bancorp bank which had been closed. The 79 year old Torn had been inebriated and brandishing a gun when the law caught up with him. He had not admitted to being guilty and said that he was under the misconception of the bank being his home.
However, Rip Torn has now appealed to the judge to put him in a rehab program instead. This will help him to avoid serving time in a Connecticut jail.
His lawyer has supported him saying that he responded well to the various treatments and has been able to successfully abstain from liquor. The treatment was, however, described as an ongoing endeavor by A. Thomas Waterfall, his legal representative.
The prosecutors are apparently not amused by the turn of events. They have, in fact, warned of opposing such a request after the lawyer applied for probation in lieu of a jail sentence. The program further necessitates the legal charges being dropped against a first time offender on successful completion of the probation period.
The prosecutors were willing to let go of the burglary charges against the star who had featured in the Larry Sanders show. The request for granting probation is scheduled to be reviewed by the court on the 11th of August, this year.
- Judge Refuses To Give Probation To Rip Torn In Connecticut Break-in - Aug 12, 2010
- Rip Torn Wants To Go To Rehab Instead Of Jail - Jul 14, 2010
- Rip Torn to go into rehab - Feb 02, 2010
- Rip Torn Probation Bid Denied By Judge On Wednesday, Actor To Face Trial - Aug 12, 2010
- Rip Torn Arrested For Attempting Bank Robery - Jan 31, 2010
- Alexis Neiers Arrested For Drug Possession - Dec 03, 2010
- Judge grants Debra Lafave early probation - Sep 23, 2011
- Rip Torn Will Move To Rehab For Treating Alcohol Addiction - Feb 02, 2010
- Uma Thurman's stalker sent to jail for more creepy calls - Dec 18, 2010
- LiLo faces battery charge - Jan 05, 2011
- Spitzer's Manhattan madam Kristin Davis gets early end to probation - Nov 10, 2010
- Uma Thurman: Stalker Sent To Rikers Island - Dec 18, 2010
- LiLo may get out of rehab early - Aug 13, 2010
- Ex-Iron Maiden singer Paul Di'Anno faces jail over benefit fraud - Feb 12, 2011
- Grigorieva may sue Gibson - Mar 13, 2011
Tags: acting skills, bancorp, burglary charges, jail sentence, july 14, larry sanders, legal charges, legal representative, men at work, men in black, misconception, pen men, probation period, prosecutors, rehab program, salisbury branch, serving time, sober man, time offender, waterfall