Rip Torn Probation Bid Denied By Judge On Wednesday, Actor To Face TrialAugust 12th, 2010 - 7:41 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Aug 12, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In spite of his best efforts actor Rip Torn has been unable to avoid the trial for breaking an entering into a bank in drunken state with a gun. The actor was hoping that he will qualify for the special accelerated rehabilitation programme but the judge announced on Wednesday that he did not make it and will have to face trial very soon. Rip Torn had pleaded his case on the grounds that he was a first-time non-violent offender.
The 79 year old actor was charged after he broke into a bank with a loaded revolver near his house in Connecticut. The police found him inside the bank in a highly intoxicated state and said that he had mistaken it for his house. In spite of his protests that he had no intentions of robbing the bank or anything such, he was arrested and charged with burglary but the charge was later dropped by the prosecutors when they later said that he had no such intentions. The dropping of the burglary charge made it appear as if he will qualify for the probation but charges like criminal trespass and carrying a weapon while in a drunken state still remain.
Rip Torn’s Attorney has said that his rehabilitation has been very successful as he has shown abstinence. The actor has also got rid of the weapons that he possessed, according to his attorneys. Considering that the license for the gun he was carrying had expired in 2007, if found guilty of all the charges, the veteran actor could see a sentence of up to one year in prison. He has received dozens of letters from fans and people who know him, ever since the arrest.
- Rip Torn Wants To Go To Rehab Instead Of Jail - Jul 14, 2010
- Rip Torn to go into rehab - Feb 02, 2010
- Judge Refuses To Give Probation To Rip Torn In Connecticut Break-in - Aug 12, 2010
- Rip Torn Arrested For Attempting Bank Robery - Jan 31, 2010
- Rip Torn Requests For Probation Instead Of Jail - Jul 14, 2010
- Rip Torn Will Move To Rehab For Treating Alcohol Addiction - Feb 02, 2010
- Berry's intruder now charged with burglary - Jul 28, 2011
- New Zealand man jailed for stealing orange - Jul 23, 2010
- Matthew Fox may enter Alcohol Treatment Program - Jun 06, 2012
- Shia LaBeouf Handcuffed After A Bar Fight - Feb 06, 2011
- Cage won't be charged in domestic abuse case! - May 06, 2011
- Suspect in Afghan killings claims memory loss: Report - Mar 20, 2012
- TV weatherman Robert William Batot shot in the chest with a crossbow - Jun 06, 2012
- Lawrence Fishburne's daughter in further trouble with 'battery' trial - Aug 13, 2010
- Grammy Nominated Rapper Ja Rule Pleades Guilty To Firearm Charge - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: abstinence, attorneys, best efforts, burglary charge, connecticut, criminal trespass, dozens, drunken state, intoxicated state, kar, meena, probation, prosecutors, protests, revolver, spite, veteran actor, violent offender, weapons