Rihanna to testify at Chris Brown assault trialMay 29th, 2009 - 1:33 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Donald Etra, a lawyer for entertainer Rihanna, said his client will fully comply with a district attorney subpoena and give evidence at a hearing against former boyfriend Chris Brown on June 22.
Brown, 20, has pleaded not guilty to allegedly beating 21-year-old Rihanna on February 8. If convicted, he faces anything from probation to a maximum four years and eight months in state prison.
Etra said prosecutors intend to subpoena the singer to appear at the hearing, so the court can determine if there’s enough evidence to proceed with a trial.
“She absolutely will comply,” he said, adding that Rihanna will also be subject to cross-examination by Brown’s lawyer, Mark Geragos.
At a Los Angeles court hearing on Thursday Geragos was unsuccessful in convincing a judge to grant him access to police records in effort to find out who leaked a photo of Rihanna’s injuries.
When asked if he’s confident that he can keep Brown from serving time behind bars, Geragos replied, “I’m not going to address any of that.”
Experts say the case likely won’t go to trial, but instead will end with a plea deal, which could happen at any time.
- Rihanna may testify against Chris Brown, says her lawyer - May 29, 2009
- Chris Brown wants Rihanna restraining order lifted - Jan 30, 2011
- Chris Brown wants Rihanna restraining order lifted - Jan 29, 2011
- Rihanna 'agrees to reduce restraining order against ex Chris Brown' - Feb 11, 2011
- Chris Brown allowed to go near Rihanna now - Feb 23, 2011
- I did not assault Rihanna, says singer Chris Brown - Apr 07, 2009
- Chris Brown sentencing postponed - Aug 06, 2009
- Rihanna will testify in Browns assault case, says lawyer - Mar 07, 2009
- Chris Brown 'making progress' on probation - May 08, 2010
- Chris Brown sentenced for assaulting Rihanna - Aug 26, 2009
- Rihanna set to testify in Chris Brown's assault case - Jun 22, 2009
- Chris Brown gets 5-year probation in Rihanna assault case - Jun 23, 2009
- Chris Brown's fate hinging on leaked photo of beaten Rihanna - Apr 30, 2009
- US judge to rule on evidence about Reliance at Gupta trial - May 30, 2012
- Judge Praises Chris Brown For Community Service - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: assault trial, boyfriend chris, chris brown, court hearing, district attorney, eight months, etra, lawyer mark geragos, plea deal, police records, probation, prosecutors, rihanna, serving time, state prison, subpoena