Rihanna, Alicia Keys seek help for cancer patient TavarezJuly 9th, 2010 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, July 9 (IANS) Singers Rihanna and Alicia Keys are calling on fans to register as bone marrow donors to help 11-year-old actress Shannon Tavarez find a match in her battle with cancer.
The actress, who played the young Nala onstage in the musical, “The Lion King”, was diagnosed with acute leukaemia in April and is in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant to survive, reports aceshowbiz.com.
Her emotional cancer fight has struck a chord with the two singers, and Keys paid a visit to Tavarez at Schneider Children’s Hospital to help lift the girl’s spirits.
Keys admits she has been touched by Tavarez’s story and is urging fans to sign up as potential donors, so the child and others like her can “grow up to live their dreams”.
“For her, the sky is the limit, but now she’s fighting for her life,” said Keys.
Rihanna has also asked her fans to help the cause before it’s too late.
“Tavarez should be performing on Broadway, but is confined to her bed, fighting for her life. She needs to find a bone marrow donor to survive. I urge all my fans to register (as donors). It’s the most beautiful thing someone could do, to give the gift of life,” said Rihanna.
Tavarez is currently receiving daily chemotherapy treatment at the Long Island medical centre in New York as she awaits a bone marrow transplant.
- 'The Lion King' star Shannon Tavarez dies - Nov 03, 2010
- Child star Tavarez battling cancer - Jun 22, 2010
- Shannon Tavarez, The Young Broadway Entertainer Dies At 11 - Nov 03, 2010
- 'Lion King' musical star Shannon Tavares dies at age 11 - Nov 03, 2010
- "The Lion King" Star Shannon Tavarez Loses Battle With Leukemia - Nov 03, 2010
- Rapper 50 Cent registers as a bone marrow donor - Aug 09, 2010
- 1.28 mn Chinese register for bone marrow donation - May 17, 2011
- Salman Khan Pledges Bone Marrow For Marrow Donor Registry (India) - Nov 18, 2010
- Rihanna, 50 Cent seek bone marrow for kid - Jun 06, 2011
- Rihanna works to help leukaemia-stricken Olympic hopeful - Jan 08, 2010
- Iraqi woman gets new life with bone marrow transplant in India - Sep 23, 2010
- Paris Hilton seeks help for cancer boy - May 18, 2010
- Rihanna looking for a donor to help leukaemia patient - Jan 12, 2010
- Salman pledges bone marrow to help patients - Nov 12, 2010
- Jackie Chan campaigns for cancer kid - Feb 24, 2010
Tags: acute leukaemia, alicia keys, beautiful thing, bone marrow donor, bone marrow donors, bone marrow transplant, cancer fight, cancer patient, chemotherapy, chemotherapy treatment, desperate need, island medical, lion king, long island, medical centre, nala, rihanna, s hospital, singers, sky is the limit