Ricky Martin to marry boyfriend Jan 28January 3rd, 2012 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
San Juan, Jan 3 (IANS/EFE) Puerto Rican singer Ricky Martin and his boyfriend Carlos Gonzalez will marry Jan 28 in New York.
New York had in June last year approved marriage between homosexual couples.
Since he announced his homosexual orientation in March 2010, Martin — who turned 40 Dec 24 — has expressed his support for marriage among people of the same sex, according to the El Nuevo Dia newspaper.
Martin also said he favours homosexual marriages in Puerto Rico, where it is still illegal. He termed his homosexuality “a gift”.
“What I want is for them to say no to discrimination so that equality among us human beings may be a reality in my country,” he said.
The artist has participated in events supporting homosexuals, among them was an event in March last year in New York where he received the Vito Russo prize from Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation for his promotion of rights for the gay community.
- Puerto Rican boxer shot dead - Jun 09, 2011
- Ricky Martin dedicates prize to victim of homophobic violence - Mar 27, 2012
- Ricky Martin honoured for being gay role model - Mar 21, 2011
- Happy to be alive after cancer treatment: Puerto Rican singer - Jun 21, 2011
- Ricky Martin to promote Puerto Rico tourism on world tour - Mar 15, 2011
- Ricky Martin to receive gay honour next month - Feb 11, 2011
- Puerto Rican held for killing two in US - Aug 17, 2012
- Crime statistics won't be fudged: Puerto Rico top cop - May 17, 2012
- Puerto Rican militant arrested after 25 years on the run - May 11, 2011
- Ricky Martin wraps up world tour - Nov 14, 2011
- Shakira in Puerto Rico to be with boyfriend - Aug 14, 2012
- Puerto Rico senator resigns over nude photos - Aug 30, 2011
- Rappers lead march against violence in Puerto Rico - Dec 28, 2011
- Cheo Feliciano to join Dominican singer for his new album - Jul 07, 2011
- Wisin, Yandel hope for P.Diddy collaboration on new disc - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: carlos gonzalez, dec 24, dg, efe, el nuevo dia, el nuevo dia newspaper, gay and lesbian alliance against defamation, gay community, homosexual couples, homosexual marriages, homosexual orientation, homosexuality, homosexuals, human beings, jan 28, lesbian alliance against defamation, puerto rican, ricky, ricky martin, san juan