Ricky Martin expresses solidarity with flood victimsOctober 18th, 2011 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, Oct 18 (IANS/EFE) Puerto Rican singer Ricky Martin expressed solidarity with the thousands of Hondurans affected by the torrential rains that have lashed the Central American country for more than six days and have caused a dozen deaths.
Martin, who arrived in the country Saturday to give a concert at a baseball stadium in Tegucigalpa, visited the offices of the Copeco emergency management agency where he met Honduran President Porfirio Lobo.
“As president of the Ricky Martin Foundation and as ambassador of the UN Children’s Fund, I express my solidarity, I bring you my affection as a Puerto Rican, I bring love, I feel at home,” the artist said.
The singer congratulated Copeco personnel and volunteer workers for the great job he considers they have done in dealing with the emergency in Honduras caused by the heavy downpour.
After shaking hands with the international star, Lobo welcomed Martin and applauded him for his work on behalf of the world’s children, while at the same time thanking him for his solidarity with those left homeless by the rains.
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- 89 die in Central America rains - Oct 17, 2011
- Cops beat protesting journalists in Honduras - Dec 14, 2011
- Chinese firm to build hydro-power plants in Honduras - Sep 10, 2010
- Ricky Martin defends gay rights - Oct 16, 2011
- Deadly prison fire an accident: Honduras - Feb 22, 2012
- Reporter murdered in Honduras - Dec 29, 2010
- Ricky Martin poses for photos for first time with his kids - Mar 22, 2012
- 58 gays, lesbians slain this year in Honduras - Dec 15, 2011
- Ricky Martin to marry boyfriend Jan 28 - Jan 03, 2012
- Mexico renews diplomatic ties with Honduras - Aug 01, 2010
- Probe sought into Honduran journalist's murder - Dec 30, 2010
- Grammy-winning band to release new album - Feb 28, 2012
- A Mexican shop making guitars since 1947 - Nov 13, 2011
- Wisin, Yandel hope for P.Diddy collaboration on new disc - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: baseball stadium, dozen deaths, efe, emergency management agency, flood victims, heavy downpour, honduran president, hondurans, international star, lobo, martin foundation, puerto rican, ricky, ricky martin, shaking hands, six days, solidarity, tegucigalpa, torrential rains, volunteer workers