Richard Gere speaks in support of homosexual unionsMay 28th, 2009 - 4:35 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 28 (ANI): Richard Gere has spoken out for gay marriage rights in the U.S. in support of his brother, who married during the brief period when gay unions were legal in California.
Gere is furious over California Supreme Court’s recent decision to uphold a gay marriage ban, which came into effect under the Proposition 8 legislation late last year (08) - six months after homosexual unions were declared valid.
And he is adamant there is “no reason” why individuals like his younger brother David should be denied the same rights as straight couples.
“My brother is gay and he got married in that brief period when gay marriage was allowed in California. He has two great kids and is a wonderful father,” the Daily Express quoted him as saying. (ANI)
- Gay people should have equality in law: Radcliffe - Feb 10, 2012
- California governor quietly signs same-sex marriage bill - Oct 13, 2009
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- Ricky Martin to marry boyfriend Jan 28 - Jan 03, 2012
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- The Pronouncement Of The Judge In California On The Legalization Of Sex-Same Unions Is Ready For Release - Aug 04, 2010
- Bollywood celebs slam Azad's comments on MSM - Jul 05, 2011
- Elton John lashes out at gay marriage opponents - Jan 21, 2011
- DOMA Violates Mass. Gay Marriage Rights? - Jul 12, 2010
- Vietnam hosts first gay parade - Aug 05, 2012
- Schwarzenegger backs gay marriage - Aug 07, 2010
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- Gay marriages: Brad upholds gay rights - Aug 12, 2009
- Ken Melhman creates a stir with his confession of being a gay - Aug 27, 2010
- Kirk Cameron voices his opinion against gays - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: brother david, california supreme court, daily express, gay marriage ban, gay unions, homosexual unions, legislation, london, marriage, marriage rights, richard gere, six months, straight couples, which came into effect, wonderful father