Revealed - ‘Tiger’ inspiration in ‘Housefull’April 2nd, 2010 - 4:51 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
April 2, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): The cat, errrr, tiger is out of the bag. Recently there were speculations galore about Sajid Khan lifting a scene from ‘The Hangover’ in ‘Housefull’. The sequence involved a tiger sitting pretty in a house, something which was last seen in ‘The Hangover’ where the protagonists stole a tiger from the mansion of none other than Mike Tyson! Though Sajid outrightly denied copying the scene, he is happy enough to reveal his inspiration.
“Let me surprise you here by openly acknowledging the source of this scene in ‘Housefull’ “, Sajid is candid enough to reveal the truth, “There was a film called ‘Nishana’ (1980) [Jeetendra, Poonam Dhillon] which has stayed with me for three decades now. In the film, it was Asrani’s character which brought home a tiger. Believe me; the scene was so funny that I still fall down laughing while thinking about it. At the back of my mind, I remembered this scene and while writing ‘Housefull’, there was a situation where I could recreate something similar.”
Well, it is really surprising to see that he is remembering a scene from a film which is hardly remembered today. While there have been countless Bollywood films in the past where tigers have been shown roaming around in a jungle, performing in a circus or feasting on flesh in a villain’s den, one can’t remember an instance where a tiger roamed around merrily in a house and seat itself comfortably in the living room of the lead protagonist.
“And that’s because I love my Bollywood more than Hollywood”, continues Sajid, “If there is any similarity or inspiration that you ever see in a film of mine, that would be because I loved that scene so much that I wanted wider audience to have a dekko at it. No, I am not short of ideas but if there is something worth bringing to the audience, I won’t hesitate doing so, though in my own nice and little way. Please, let me state once for and all that my name is Sajid Khan. I don’t copy, I create.”
Well, with Sajid being extremely confident of the film, now one looks forward to the audience response to ‘Housefull’. The film promises to be the biggest entertainer in the offering soon after the conclusion of IPL and one can well expect Bollywood starved audience to hop into theaters and watch this Sajid Nadiadwala production that stars Akshay Kumar in lead along with Riteish Deshmukh, Arjun Rampal, Deepika Padukone, Lara Dutta, Jiah Khan, Boman Irani, Chunky Pandey and Randhir Kapoor. With music by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, ‘Housefull’ releases all over on 30th April.
- Rudhir Burman / Sampurn Wire
- I've not lifted scene from 'The Hangover': Sajid Khan - Apr 01, 2010
- Housefull has not lifted a scene from The Hangover - Sajid Khan - Apr 01, 2010
- "I did some weird scenes in 'Housefull'" - Riteish Deshmukh - May 03, 2010
- Multi-starrers are risky: Sajid Khan - Mar 22, 2012
- Hindi films are not made for critics: Sajid Khan - Feb 10, 2012
- Confident 'Housefull 2' will be a blockbuster: Sajid Khan - Mar 31, 2012
- "Critics make a difference only to small films" - Sajid Khan - Mar 16, 2010
- 'Foodistan' winner wants to cook for Big B (Movie Snippets) - Mar 23, 2012
- I'm arguably Mithun-da's biggest fan: Sajid Khan - Mar 17, 2012
- I make people nervous, I never get nervous: Sajid Khan - Mar 18, 2012
- My bad luck I couldn't do 'Krrish 3': Jacqueline - Mar 26, 2012
- Akshay plays coolest role of his career in 'Housefull 2': Sajid - Feb 25, 2011
- Asin finds Sajid funny, says he forgets to say cut - Mar 27, 2012
- 'Himmatwala' will cross Rs.100 crore in first week: Sajid Khan - Jun 21, 2012
- JKSAH director ecstatic with his choice for lead pair - Mar 15, 2010
Tags: asrani, back of my mind, bollywood films, dekko, flesh, hangover, housefull, inspiration, jungle, living room, mike tyson, poonam dhillon, protagonist, protagonists, sajid khan, similarity, speculations, three decades, tigers, villain