Resul Pookutty signs his first south Indian filmApril 30th, 2009 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) After winning an Oscar for Danny Boyle’s Mumbai-based underdog drama “Slumdog Millionaire”, Kerala-born sound maestro Resul Pookutty is coming full circle, as he will design sound for his first Malayalam movie “Pazhaasi Raja”.
“Resul is doing ‘Pazhassi Raja’, which will be his first film in his mother tongue as well as the first in south India. He will be doing the post-sound work for the film and is very excited about the project as it is an amazing film. It is also one of the very big-budget films in Malayalam cinema,” Pookutty’s manager Baiju told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
The 39-year-old started his career in Bollywood in 1995 with Rajat Kapur’s “Private Detective: Two Plus Two Plus One” that never saw the light of day. He then went on to design sounds for films like “Black” (2005), “Traffic Signal” (2007), “Saawariya” (2007) and “Ghajini” (2008) before bagging an Oscar for “Slumdog Millionaire”.
Pookutty has his reasons for taking up the regional project.
“Resul took up the project because Pazhassi Raja is a very well known figure down south and has a history like that of Mangal Pandey, as both were martyrs in our struggle against the British. He really respects the freedom fighters and has deep feelings for the country,” Baiju said.
Known as the ‘Lion of Kerala’, Pazhassi Raja was the ruler of the kingdom of Kottayam in northern Kerala. He is chronicled as one of the first freedom fighters in the country. He achieved the title ‘Veera’ when he died fighting the British occupation in a guerrilla war Nov 30, 1805.
Directed by Hariharan, the biopic is a magnum opus historical with screenplay written by renowned writer and poet M.T. Vasudevan Nair and music by Ilaiyaraaja.
It stars southern superstars Mamootty and Sarath Kumar and actresses Kanihaa and Padmapriya in the lead. The film will be released in five languages - Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, English and Hindi.
Not many know that a part of of the movie will also be re-shot, as per a special demand by Pookutty.
“Half of the film has already been shot but Resul asked the (producers) to reshoot a few scenes, as he wants to shoot them with live sound. And considering it is his first film in Malayalam and also his first project down south, they have compromised and agreed to do the same,” Baiju said.
Earlier slated for an August 15 release, the film is now touted to hit the screens around the harvest season of Onam in September due to the the “reworking”, Baiju said.
Apart from “Pazhaasi Raja”, Pookutty’s other projects include “Blue”, “Prince”, “Rectangular Love Story”, “Pappu Can’t Dance Saala”, “Rangeen In Love”, “Mocktale”, “Hawai Dada”, “The 19th Step”, three Hollywood projects and Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s next.
- Resul Pookutty to work on Tamil film '3' - Jan 19, 2012
- I'm happy my films won eight national awards: Mammootty - Sep 15, 2010
- I want to direct a film: Oscar winner Resul Pookutty (Interview) - May 22, 2009
- 'Resul, Rahman, Gulzar trinity of Indian Cinema' - May 14, 2010
- Pookutty to turn director to tell father-son story - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Pazhassi Raja' will be an event in film history: Mammootty - Oct 11, 2009
- You need an opportunity to succeed, says Oscar winner Pookutty - Apr 29, 2009
- Resool Pukkutty's next after Ocsar winning Slumdog Millionaire - Sep 09, 2009
- 'Pazhassi Raja' Selected At Fukuoka Film Festival - Sep 01, 2010
- Pookutty announces three scholarships for film students - Jun 17, 2011
- Resul Pookutty, Boman Irani plan workshops at film festival - Nov 15, 2010
- No plans to direct a film: Pookutty - Jul 01, 2010
- Music, Bollywood glitter at 57th National Film Awards ceremony (Roundup) - Oct 22, 2010
- Pookutty, Rahman autobiographies coming out this year - May 10, 2010
- Two Indians and Liv Ullmann - in one film - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: baiju, british occupation, budget films, danny boyle, deep feelings, freedom fighters, ghajini, guerrilla war, kottayam, m t vasudevan nair, magnum opus, mother tongue, northern kerala, private detective, regional project, renowned writer, sarath kumar, south indian film, tamil telugu, vasudevan