Reporter murdered in MexicoApril 30th, 2012 - 11:19 am ICT by IANS
Veracruz (Mexico), April 30 (IANS/EFE) The body of Regina Martinez, the Proceso magazine correspondent in the eastern Mexican state of Veracruz, was found in her house. She had been strangled to death, officials said.
Martinez, who covered drug trafficking, was found Saturday in the bathroom of her house in Xalapa, the capital of Veracruz, and appeared to have been beaten and strangled.
Emergency services personnel found the body around 6 p.m. after responding to an anonymous tip about a dead body.
Veracruz Gov. Gabriel Duarte ordered an investigation to determine who killed the reporter and expressed condolences to her family.
Martinez had worked for a number of different media outlets during a career that spanned more than 30 years.
Mexico, where nearly 80 journalists have been murdered and several others have disappeared since 2000, is considered the world’s second most dangerous country for members of the media.
Nine journalists were murdered in Mexico last year, the National Human Rights Commission, or CNDH, said in a statement released in January.
Journalists have increasingly been targeted in recent years by drug traffickers and other organized crime groups, especially in northern Mexico.
- Mexican journalists demand end to killings - May 07, 2012
- Mexico seeks to protect journalists, rights activists - May 02, 2012
- Journalist, two family members murdered in Mexico - Jun 21, 2011
- Kidnapped Mexican mayor found dead - Jun 29, 2012
- Seven members of family found dead in Mexico - Aug 14, 2012
- Mexican rights body probes attack on reporter - May 14, 2012
- Beheaded bodies found in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- Missing Mexican journalist found dead - Jul 27, 2011
- Brazilian oil giant to invest $11 bn in Mexico - Aug 01, 2011
- Mexican judge hands down country's first life sentence - Dec 23, 2010
- Journalist kidnapped in Mexico - May 19, 2012
- Abducted Mexican journalist found dead (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Venezuelan diplomat slain in Kenya - Jul 28, 2012
- Journalist flees Mexico after death threats - Aug 04, 2012
- Journalist siblings found slain in Bolivia - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: anonymous tip, capital of veracruz, cndh, condolences, correspondent, drug traffickers, drug trafficking, duarte, efe, emergency services, human rights commission, journalists, media outlets, mexico veracruz, national human rights, national human rights commission, northern mexico, organized crime groups, regina, veracruz mexico