Repeat of Gujarat golden jubilee show SundayMay 2nd, 2010 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, May 2 (IANS) A cultural show at Sardar Patel Stadium here organised Saturday to kick off Gujarat’s golden jubilee celebrations will be repeated Sunday for invitees who failed to enter the packed venue, said Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Nearly 50,000 invitees including cricketer Irfan Pathan, bureaucrats and mediapersons missed out on the glitzy function inaugurated by Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal.
With the situation taking an ugly turn, Modi Saturday apologised at the show and announced that it will be repeated Sunday for all those who were turned away.
Many invitees received minor injuries in the melee as police resorted to cane charge to disperse angry people who failed to enter the stadium.
Some chief ministers from Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled states had a harrowing time entering the venue as their vehicles were held up by an angry crowd protesting being denied entry into the jampacked stadium.
The protesters also shouted slogans against Modi.
Though the function was slated to start at 7 p.m. the entry gates of the stadium had to be closed an hour before the start as the stands got packed.
The chaos, according to a source, was caused by indiscriminate issuing of invitations by the authorities.
Nearly 75,000 invitation cards were distributed while the stadium has a capacity of 25,000, the source said.
- Gujarat celebrates golden jubilee (Second lead, changing dateline) - May 01, 2010
- BJP meets president, demands Gujarat governor's removal - May 30, 2012
- Gujarat golden jubilee celebrations to begin Saturday - Apr 30, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over 'land grab' - May 18, 2012
- Modi's fast unconstitutional: Madhya Pradesh JD-U - Sep 18, 2011
- Modi, governor lead R-Day celebrations in Gujarat - Jan 26, 2012
- Frenzy grips Bangalore as India take on England - Feb 27, 2011
- Lokayukta's appointment: Gujarat government moves Supreme Court - Jan 19, 2012
- 12,000 RTI appeals pending in Gujarat: Activist - Aug 08, 2011
- Modi honours school teachers - Sep 04, 2010
- Samajwadi Party disapproves the way Gujarat Lokayukta was appointed - Sep 06, 2011
- Court's Gujarat Lokayukta order harms federalism: BJP (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Congress MP breaks down over Gujarat police action (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Parliament stalled over Gujarat Lokayukta issue - Sep 02, 2011
- Contrasting styles mark Modi, Vaghela fasts - Sep 18, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad, angry crowd, apologised, bureaucrats, chief minister, chief ministers, entry gates, golden jubilee celebrations, gujarat, invitation cards, invitees, irfan pathan, janata party, jubilee show, kamla, melee, minor injuries, modi, sardar patel stadium, slogans