Remove ‘Hitler’ from the show’s title, Zee TV toldNovember 24th, 2011 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 24 (IANS) The title of Zee TV’s new show “Hitler Didi” has upset the US-based Anti-Defamation League (ADL), which wants the channel to give it a less offensive title.
“The name Hitler doesn’t belong in the title of a soap opera, and we think the producers of this program have made a terrible error in judgment that can only be remedied with a title change,” Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director and a Holocaust survivor, said in a statement published on the League’s website.
“Hitler was an anti-Semite, fascist dictator and mass murderer responsible for the annihilation of European Jewry. That millions of soap opera fans in India are now hearing and talking about a program with the name ‘Hitler’ on a daily basis is shocking. This is a terrible trivialization of a name freighted with the taint of the Nazi Holocaust,” he added.
The show has Rati Pandey in the lead role of “Hitler Didi”, who is a strict disciplinarian and has a no-nonsense attitude with her family.
ADL’s objection to “Hitler” was conveyed in a letter to Punit Goenka, Managing Director & CEO, and Subhash Chandra, Chairman of Zee Entertainment.
“Let’s preserve the name ‘Hitler’ as a villain of incomparable evil and not trivialize his legacy or the Holocaust with a serial TV title. We strongly urge you to reconsider the choice of title and rename your show,” the letter read.
The programme, which went on air Nov 7 on Zee TV in India, is also being carried on the network’s affiliates in other countries, including the US.
When contacted, the channel said it had not relased an official statement on the issue.
- What's in the name Hitler? - Sep 05, 2012
- Actress Priyal Gor loves gorging on chocolate (TV Snippets) - Jan 01, 2012
- Sumit Vats has 'girlfriend woes' (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- Susan Sarandon slammed for calling the Pope as a 'Nazi' - Oct 18, 2011
- Glenn Beck Comes Under Fire For Holocaust Remark About George Soros - Nov 14, 2010
- Glenn Beck Under Fire For His 'Insensitive Observations' On The Billionaire, George Soros, And The Holocaust - Nov 14, 2010
- TV actress Rati Pandey goes from bubbly to serious - Oct 19, 2011
- TV stars dazzle at Zee Rishtey Awards - Nov 27, 2011
- No saas-bahu dramas for me: Rati Pandey (With Images) - Jan 02, 2012
- Jesse James slammed for his 'offensive' Hitler photo - Apr 03, 2010
- STAR India PLUS launched on America's Verizon FiOS TV - Sep 24, 2010
- Small screen apes big; creativity down the tube - Jul 07, 2012
- No work, all colourful play on Holi, say TV actors - Mar 06, 2012
- TV stars recall their school flag-hoisting ceremony on R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Don't think my husband and I'll work together: Shruti Seth - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: abraham h foxman, adl national director, annihilation, anti defamation league, anti semite, daily basis, didi, error in judgment, european jewry, fascist dictator, holocaust survivor, mass murderer, nazi holocaust, nonsense attitude, serial tv, soap opera fans, strict disciplinarian, subhash chandra, tv title, zee tv