‘Reliance Entertainment may seal DreamWorks deal this week’August 11th, 2008 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 11 (IANS) Reliance Big Entertainment, part of the Reliance-Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (R-ADAG), might seal its much talked-about $1 billion deal with Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks production company this week, the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) newspaper has reported. The paper said the move would enable Spielberg to exit from the Paramount studio umbrella.
According to the earlier general outline of the deal, R-ADAG would invest $500 million in DreamWorks’ new productions and another $500 million in debt through JP Morgan Chase, the report said.
However, R-ADAG refused to confirm the report.
“No comment, please” was the response of Reliance Big Entertainment president Rajesh Sawhney, when contacted by IANS Monday.
Meanwhile, Variety newspaper in the US reported Monday that DreamWorks was now trying to woo away three production houses from the Paramount umbrella.
If these three houses come out of Paramount and join Spielberg’s new studio, DreamWorks’ scope would further widen.
In such a situation, according to Variety, “Reliance is understood to have sought a greater slice of the new company”.
Even in that case, R-ADAG’s stake would be less than that of DreamWorks in the new entity, the report added.
The new studio, which will retain the name DreamWorks may make up to 10 movies a year, depending upon the cash inflow.
The movies will probably be distributed by Universal, the studio Spielberg had earlier been associated with.
- Reliance BIG Entertainment, Brad Pitt acquire 'The Imperfectionists' (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Reliance DreamWorks films get 11 Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2012
- DreamWorks China venture to produce first animation film - Mar 20, 2012
- Reliance Big in venture for acclaimed global scriptwriters (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Anil Ambani Group in new venture for acclaimed global scriptwriters - Dec 14, 2010
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Abraham Lincoln in Spielberg film - Nov 20, 2010
- Bollywood shining with a little help from Hollywood - Aug 18, 2009
- Reliance DreamWorks announces first three films - Sep 05, 2009
- Steven Spielberg 'buys rights to WikiLeaks book' - Mar 03, 2011
- Steven Spielberg 'confirms new studio' - Aug 19, 2009
- Historic Bollywood-Hollywood pact signals India's emergence in world cinema - Aug 18, 2009
- Anil Ambani walks Oscar red carpet, his 'The Help' gets statuette (With Images) - Feb 27, 2012
- Russell Crowe 'threatened to kill producer while filming Gladiator' - Apr 28, 2010
- Reliance Entertainment plans new facility in UAE - Jul 17, 2008
- Anil Ambani group close to deal with Spielberg's studio (Lead) - Jun 18, 2008
Tags: 1 billion, adag, cash inflow, dhirubhai ambani, dreamworks, dreamworks production company, general outline, jp morgan, jp morgan chase, paramount studio, production houses, rajesh, reliance anil dhirubhai ambani group, sawhney, stake, steven spielberg, three houses, umbrella, wall street journal, wall street journal wsj