Redford not to enter politicsNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:53 am ICT by admin
“Every film about politics I’ve made makes the point that politics compromises you. Your hands are tied, and I would never want to be in that position,” Contactmusic quoted Redford as telling Playboy magazine.
“I lost all interest in going into politics around the time the Watergate break-in occurred. I was promoting ‘The Candidate’, and I did a whistle-stop train tour with George MCGovern and some other candidates,” he added.
He says that people would be happy to have him on the podium, even when he did not have anything to say.
“I wanted to make the point that I could draw more people just by standing on the back of the train. And that’s what happened. They would draw 300 or 400 people, then I would go out and get 3,000 or 4,000,” he said.
“I would tell the crowds, ‘Thank you all for coming. My fellow Americans, I just want you to know I have absolutely nothing important to say.’ And they would cheer,” he added. (ANI)
- Barbara Streisand wanted to make 'The Way We Were' sequel - Nov 18, 2010
- No more kids for Garner - Aug 09, 2012
- Robert Redford laments not being asked to star in movies anymore - Jan 27, 2011
- US judge rules to release Richard Nixon's Watergate testimony - Jul 30, 2011
- Jim Carrey wants to marry Emma Stone - Aug 26, 2011
- France honors American actor Robert Redford with 'Knight of the Legion Honor' - Oct 15, 2010
- Parineeti, Arjun say acting schools are important - Jun 02, 2012
- Neil wants pierced ears? (Movie Snippets) - Dec 19, 2011
- Bogus, says Pranab; BJP says chewing gum theory hard to digest (Roundup) - Jun 22, 2011
- No interest in political career: Clooney - Oct 07, 2011
- British cyclist Wiggins begins Olympics opening ceremony - Jul 28, 2012
- Queen in a helicopter, Beckham on a boat: what more can you ask for? (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Clooney wants Olympics tickets - Jan 28, 2012
- Jason Alexander responds to Mitt Romney's Seinfeld comment - Feb 25, 2012
- 'Bigg Boss 5' high on fights, short on entertainment: KRK - Jan 05, 2012
Tags: 300, absolutely nothing, cheer, compromises, contactmusic, crowds, democrat candidate, fellow americans, george mcgovern, hands are tied, hollywood star, large crowd, nothing important, playboy magazine, podium, presidential campaign, train tour, watergate, whistle stop