RedBox is going ahead introducing $1 Blu-ray DVD rental kiosksNovember 27th, 2008 - 5:04 pm ICT by Bupha Ravirot
Redbox said it will start stocking machines at grocery stores around the country.
Redbox, the largest U.S. movie-rental kiosk operator, which recently include Blu-ray titles in machines claimed it will stocking some of its machines at select Wal-Mart stores and other retail outlets (also other retail outlets & company-owned kiosks) . Rental fee is only a dollar daily , the same price as standard-definition disc rentals.
However, the battle between Universal Studio and Redbox has not ended. The inclusion of Universal’s “Hellboy II” among Blu-ray titles is notable given Redbox’s legal issues with the studio.
Last month, Redbox sued Universal alleging that the General Electric unit violated anti-trust laws by insisting on a revenue-sharing agreement with Redbox that, among other things, enforces rental-date and resale restrictions. Universal said it will stop distributing DVDs to Redbox Dec. 1 if the kiosk operator doesn’t sign the agreement, Redbox said in its claim.
However Redbox claimed it won’t bow and will continue to carry all major new releases, including those from Universal Studios.
Redbox expects to have 12,000 kiosks in operation by the end of the year.
- Paramount, Redbox ink DVD deal - Aug 26, 2009
- Redbox sues 20th Century Fox in DVD dispute - Aug 13, 2009
- 'E.T. The Extra Terrestrial' in digital avatar - Jun 01, 2012
- 'Jurassic Park' to hit theatres again - Aug 29, 2011
- Beauty And The Beast: Diamond Edition On Blu-ray, DVDs And VCDs - Oct 19, 2010
- Best Black Friday Deals Being Searched By US Shoppers - Nov 26, 2010
- Online streaming overtakes digital delivery as Blockbuster shuts shop - Sep 24, 2010
- Hollywood sues Indian American for selling films online - Apr 05, 2011
- Mini Movies of 'Despicable Me' on DVD and Blue Ray This December - Sep 23, 2010
- Blockbuster files for bankruptcy - Sep 23, 2010
- Blockbuster files for bankruptcy, seeks the protection of Chapter 11 - Sep 24, 2010
- Walmart Black Friday 2010 Ads Make Shop-a-holics Crazy - Nov 16, 2010
- Disney Studios to cut five percent jobs - Jun 08, 2011
- 'Avatar' becomes fastest-selling Blu-ray disc of all time - Apr 26, 2010
- Enjoy 3D movies without glasses - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: dvd rental kiosks, dvds, general electric, grocery stores, hellboy, inclusion, kiosk, new releases, redbox, retail outlets, trust laws, universal studio, universal studios, wal mart, wal mart stores