Real Erin Brockovich may sue mining giant Alcoa over health problemsFebruary 29th, 2008 - 5:45 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, February 29 (ANI): Renowned US environmental campaigner Erin Brockovich is reportedly planning to sue mining giant Alcoa in relation to its West Australian refinery.
Brockovich, who became known across the world after a Hollywood movie was made on her, visited WA last year, following complaints that emissions from Alcoa’s Wagerup refinery were triggering health problems.
Nearly 160 Yarloop residents are reported to have complained of respiratory problems, skin irritation, sore throats and eyes, extreme fatigue, mental dysfunction, stomach upset, nose bleeds, cancers, and organ failure in the last 11 years.
Brockovich agreed to review the case after receiving an email from a Yarloop resident.
She is expected to make an announcement regarding the anticipated legal action in Perth on Sunday through video and teleconference.
“Ms Brockovich will take on her first Australian case after choosing to represent clients who have suffered illness and injury that they attribute to Alcoa refineries,” The Australian quoted a spokesman for the legal company Shine Lawyers as saying.
Brockovichs environmental campaign against a Californian mining company was made famous by Julia Roberts in the Hollywood film Erin Brockovich. (ANI)
- Cancer-causing chemical found in tap water of 31 US cities - Dec 23, 2010
- Environmentalist Brockovich wants to be an Oz citizen - Feb 11, 2011
- Carcinogen in 'Erin Brockovich' found across 31 US cities - Dec 21, 2010
- Erin Brockovich wages another war against BP over Gulf of Mexico oil spill - May 22, 2010
- Hewitt to play hooker - Mar 13, 2010
- New data shows that there is no increase in cancer cases in Erin Brockovich's town - Jan 04, 2011
- Hexavalent Chromium Found In Water Of 31 U.S. Cities - Dec 21, 2010
- Tom Hanks multi-tasking is pretty impressive : Julia Roberts - Jul 11, 2011
- Villagers seek allocation of bauxite for Vedanta plant - Aug 29, 2012
- Julia Roberts is among top "Religion Stories" of 2010 - Jan 01, 2011
- Erin Brockovich says film was a curse - Feb 06, 2010
- San Sebastian to Honor Julia Roberts - Aug 16, 2010
- Julia Roberts fan has 82 portraits of the actress tattooed onto his torso! - Mar 11, 2011
- Jordan wants Julia Roberts to play her in biopic - Jul 28, 2009
- Julia Roberts liked the vignettes of Hindi feature film 'Dhuaaan' - Oct 21, 2009
Tags: alcoa, californian, campaigner, company shine, environmental campaign, extreme fatigue, health problems, hollywood film, julia roberts, mining company, ms brockovich, nose bleeds, organ failure, real erin brockovich, refineries, refinery, respiratory problems, skin irritation, sore throats, teleconference