RBI cuts CRR by 1 percent, releases additional Rs 40,000 crOctober 15th, 2008 - 9:26 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 15 (ANI): The Reserve Bank of India has further cut by one percent, the amount of mandatory cash that banks need to park with it - a move that would unlock Rs 40,000 crore into the financial system and pave the way for lower lending rates.
This is the third time that the central bank has cut the Cash Reserve Ratio in two weeks, bringing the combined cut to 2.50 percent that released a total of Rs 100,000 crore into the cash-starved banking sector so that they can resume normal lending operations.
With this cut, the CRR would be 6.5 percent as against 9 percent at the start of this month.
RBI has also raised the interest rates ceiling on deposits by non-residents by 50 basis points to attract foreign funds inflow.
Continuing the fight against the ripple effects of the global financial meltdown, Finance Minister P Chidambaram has announced more steps to inject cash into the system and strengthen the banking sector, while doubling FIIs investment limit in the corporate bond market. (ANI)
- India's central bank frees more money for credit (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- India's central bank frees more money for credit - Mar 09, 2012
- CRR reduction will help ease liquidity problems: India Inc. - Jan 24, 2012
- UCO Bank might get capital infusion of Rs.2 billion - Feb 01, 2012
- SBI wants CRR phased out for 'more efficient' banking (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Inflation, fiscal deficit leave little room for rate cut - Jul 29, 2012
- CRR cut will ease liquidity problems, says Pranab - Jan 24, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- India Inc welcomes rate cut (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- CRR slash a cause for worry: HSBC - Apr 13, 2012
- Might see further slash in CRR by RBI: HSBC (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Banks lower interest rates taking cues from RBI policy - Apr 19, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation outlook worsens (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- No impact of rupee slide on banks: SBI chief - May 28, 2012
- Shifting focus to growth, RBI infuses Rs.320 bn into system (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: bank of india, banking sector, basis points, cash reserve ratio, corporate bond market, cr, crore, crr, finance minister, financial meltdown, inflow, interest rates, investment limit, mandatory cash, New Delhi, non residents, p chidambaram, reserve bank of india, ripple effects, third time