Rawness core of ‘Vicky Donor’ music album (IANS Music Review)April 11th, 2012 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Vicky Donor”; Music Director: Abhishek-Akshay, Donn-Bann, Rochak Kohli and Ayushmann; Lyricist: Kusum Verma, Vijay Maurya, Ayushmann Khurrana, Juhi Chaturvedi and Swanand Kirkire; Singers: Akshay Verma, Aditi Singh Sharma, Clinton Cerejo, Ayushmann Khurrana, Vishal Dadlani, Sunidhi Chauhan, Bann, Mika Singh and Sukanya Purkayastha; Rating: ***
“Vicky Donor” is a first for many - it not only marks John Abraham’s foray into production, it is popular VJ Ayushmann Khurana’s first movie too and Abhishek-Akshay also start their journey as music director with the movie. They duo impress with the rawness in the album.
Donn-Bann, Rochak Kohli and Ayushmann too have contributed in the film’s soundtrack. The compositions are supported by lyrics from five different lyricists, who have done a decent job.
Opening track “Rokda” has ordinary lyrics, but the catchy tunes and composer Akshay Verma’s voice make it worth listening. Aditi Singh joins him and together they manage to pull it off well.
Next on the list is “Kho jaane de”, a soft love song with a nice composition. But yet again, Juhi Chaturvedi’s lyrics are a major lowdown. It is the singers Aditi and Clinton Cerejo who carry the song on their shoulders and make an impact with their melodious voice. The composition adds zing to the song, which is simple yet well crafted.
It is “Rum Whiskey” that manages to pack a punch and takes away the dullness from the soundtrack. The groovy Punjabi number has our very own Bollywood hunk John Abraham shaking a leg. My prediction is that even if the movie doesn’t work, the song will surely be a hit, especially at wedding parties for a long time.
“Paani da rang” comes as a wonderful surprise with Ayushmann, who seems to have gained a fair bit of experience by hosting music shows, singing it. He amazingly fits the bill. His fresh and soothing voice goes well with the composition, a blend of folk and pop tunes.
Ayushmann has co-composed and penned parts of the song and it is an absolute delight. The track also has a female version by Sukanya Purkayastha, which is equally comforting to the ear.
What follows is love ballad “Mar jayian”. Composed by newcomers Donn-Bann, the song has elements of both Sufi and rock.
The lyrics are by Swanand Kirkire and mesmerising voices of Sunidhi Chauhan and Vishal Dadlani do justice to the song. This is a perfect song, so just lay back and enjoy it.
It also has a sad version sung by Bann, which has a rustic feel and would be a good listen for those facing heartbreak blues.
Last but definitely not the least is “Chaddha” where Mika delivers the perfect ending track. It has funny lyrics like “Kismat ke lag gaye pakode, peeche pad gaya Chaddha” and catchy beats pointing to the character of Dr. Chaddha played by Annu Kapoor, who is chasing sperm donor Ayushmann.
Overall “Vicky Donor” is a good effort and the coming together of various artists makes it worth a listen.
- Donn-Bann to compose music for 'Peter Gaya Kaam Se' - May 25, 2012
- 'English Vinglish' soundtrack simple, sober (IANS Music Review) - Sep 21, 2012
- Ayushmann turns composer, singer for 'Vicky Donor' - Mar 23, 2012
- Now a film based on Osho's ideology (Movie Snippets) - Mar 26, 2012
- Ayushmann won't assist Sircar in 'Jaffna' - Aug 19, 2012
- Ayushmann in talks for 'Tere Bin Laden' sequel - May 29, 2012
- I'm doing Telugu version of 'Vicky Donor': Madhura Sreedhar - Sep 13, 2012
- 'Barfi!' soundtrack is simple, flawless (IANS Music Review) - Aug 28, 2012
- 'Bbuddah...Hoga Terra Baap' Amitabh album all the way (IANS Music Review) - Jun 18, 2011
- VJ-anchor Ayushmann's film debut as sperm donor - Oct 07, 2011
- Ayushmann wants to go with the audiences' choice - May 25, 2012
- 'RA.One' music rocks (IANS Music Review) - Sep 16, 2011
- Unconventional films are a safe bet: VJ Ayushmann - Mar 14, 2012
- Good job Ayushmann, says Mini Mathur (Movie snippets) - Apr 29, 2012
- Post 'Vicky Donor', Ayushmann to focus more on movies - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: aditi, bollywood hunk, catchy tunes, chaturvedi, decent job, hosting music, job opening, john abraham, khurana, kohli, lyricists, maurya, melodious voice, mika singh, music director, pop tunes, sukanya, sunidhi chauhan, vishal dadlani, wedding parties