Rare gem from Lata Mangeshkar is Yash Chopra’s Diwali giftOctober 28th, 2008 - 2:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 28 (IANS) It will be a rare Diwali gift for Lata Mangeshkar fans. An unreleased song of the nightingale - “Chanda ki Chandni” - that she had sung for the 1997 hit “Dil To Pagal Hai”, is being repackaged by Yashraj Films for release during the festive season.For Lata, the news of the song’s release has come as cheerful news, what with arthritis of the knees continuously troubling her.
She happily recalls the song. “It was supposed to be part of Yashji’s ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’. But the song didn’t fit into the story. So they took it out. I never thought they’d use it later,” Lata, who turned 80 recently, told IANS.
It was Yash Chopra’s idea to release the song.
“When Yash-ji came to know about the unreleased song in their archives, he immediately wanted it released as a Diwali gift for Lata-ji’s fans. So you could say this song ‘Chanda ki Chandni’ is Yash-ji’s gift to Lata-ji for Diwali,” a source said.
“Yash Chopra calls Lata as his ‘Saraswati Mata’ and shares an extremely emotional bond with her. The two share the same star sign and their birthday is separated by only a day. They get along like a house on fire. Yash-ji keeps Lata-ji entertained with his jokes. Lata-ji reciprocates with her songs.
“Yashji in fact insists that as long as she is around no one else will sing in his films. That of course has changed now, what with the new guard led by Aditya Chopra opting for other voices,” the source said.
Lata hardly sings film songs nowadays, her last film song was A.R. Rahman’s lullaby “Luppa Chuppi” for “Rang De Basanti” (2006).
For Lata, it’s a quiet Diwali at home with the family. No special plans were set after the celebrations earlier this week when her brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar turned 72 Sunday.
“Every year there’s a kind gentleman in Pune who organises a musical event for my brother’s birthday. This year was no different. We’ve all been involved with that until Sunday. So Diwali would be slightly low-key. Of course the children would have their fun with the usual Diwali celebrations,” says Lata.
After Diwali she intends to get her knees operated for arthritis. The operation would be undertaken at the Mangeshkars’ hospital in Pune.
Although her knees give her more trouble these days than she had ever bargained for, the nightingale’s throat continues to be in tremendous shape.
Lata has recorded Sai Baba bhajans with sister Usha Mangeshkar.
- Born to sing: Lata turns 82 (Sep 28 is Lata Mangeshkar's birthday) - Sep 27, 2011
- Singing and sought after, Lata turns 81 (Sep 28 is Lata Mangeshkar's birthday) - Sep 27, 2010
- After Rahman, Yash Chopra signs Gulzar for his next - Jun 20, 2011
- Legendary Lata not ready to call it quits - Jun 05, 2011
- Lata Mangeshkar Gets A Very Special Birthday Gift From Sanjay Leela Bhansali; Directors Will Compose An Album Sung By The Nightingale - Sep 26, 2010
- Lata Mangeshkar joins Javed Akhtar's fight for copyright - May 20, 2012
- Teaser of SRK-Katrina starrer out - sans title! - Aug 16, 2012
- Lata special: 'Guzaaarish' song to be stretched into album - Sep 25, 2010
- Saregama pays tribute to Lata Mangeshkar - Sep 23, 2009
- Lata likes 'Indian Idol' - Jun 29, 2012
- Lataji defines beauty for me: Bhansali - Sep 28, 2011
- Lata at leisure loves watching 'KBC', 'CID' - Oct 22, 2010
- Lata proud of brother Hridaynath - Sep 28, 2011
- Lata is 'pujaarin' of music: Big B - Sep 29, 2011
- I am far removed from worldly matters: Lata - Sep 29, 2011