‘Rann’ is a men’s film: Ram Gopal VarmaJanuary 5th, 2010 - 10:11 am ICT by IANS
By Joginder Tuteja
Mumbai, Jan 5 (IANS) Director Ram Gopal Varma describes his forthcoming movie as a “men’s film” and says it was natural for Amitabh Bachchan to spearhead the show in the promos of the movie.
“Isn’t that obvious? With the kind of personality and the stardom that he enjoys, it is but natural that Amitabh Bachchan would be spearheading the entire film,” Varma told IANS.
If one goes by the film’s synopsis, there are other characters like Sudeep, Riteish Deshmukh, Mohnish Behl, Paresh Rawal and Rajat Kapoor who have been described to be quite important. What sort of space and time has Varma managed to create for these characters?
“Every other character is important; otherwise it wouldn’t have found place in the film. There won’t be any character that would feel short-changed or left out in the film,” said Varma.
Where do Neetu Chandra, Gul Panag, Suchitra Krishnamurthy or Simone Singh fit in?
“Women are supporting characters in ‘Rann’ which is indeed a men’s film. They may not be directly involved in the conspiracy or the entire drama that ensues in ‘Rann’, but they definitely bring in a humane aspect to the proceedings,” said the director.
“Suchitra plays the role of a programming head with Amitabh Bachchan’s new channel and she is in constant conflict with him since she can see the cut throat competition in the outside world. On the other hand, Gul is indifferent to what’s happening in the country and first thinks about herself and her man (Riteish Deshmukh) before anything or anybody else.”
Neetu Chandra, who had replaced Raima Sen in the film’s cast just before the shooting, is paired opposite Sudeep and also has a few scenes with Amitabh Bachchan.
“Hers is one character which keeps her completely out of the entire political equation and does not understand the intricacies of power games and hidden motivations behind actions of people. Bring them all together and they represent the common man,” said Varma.
Produced by Sheetal Vinod Talwar and Madhu Mantena, “Rann” is set for release Jan 29.
- "Not just Big B, but every other character is important in 'Rann'?"- Ram Gopal Varma - Jan 07, 2010
- Rann: Is a must watch - Jan 29, 2010
- 'Rann', a razor-sharp biting look at the real world (IANS Movie Reiview) - Jan 28, 2010
- Varma replaces 'Jana Gana' with 'Vande Mataram' in 'Rann' - Dec 07, 2009
- "Rann exposes the media"-says Ramgopal Verma - Jan 20, 2010
- 'It is dangerous to be RIGHT when the Government is WRONG' - May 16, 2009
- Bachchans wish Vidya all the best for 'Ishqiya' - Jan 29, 2010
- Watch 'Rann', Amitabh urges media - Jan 29, 2010
- "Rann is a men's film"- Ram Gopal Varma - Jan 20, 2010
- Ram Gopal Varma goes gaga over his star cast - Jan 25, 2010
- 'Rann' director to move apex court against censor ruling - May 13, 2009
- Amitabh's eyes said it all: Kannada actor Sudeep - May 24, 2009
- Gul Panag calls for more youth in parliament - Jan 20, 2010
- Was Vivek following Aishwarya-Abhishek in Delhi? - Jan 29, 2010
- When Big B was moved to tears at 'Rann' premiere - Jan 29, 2010
Tags: amitabh bachchan, common man, cut throat, gul panag, hidden motivations, intricacies, joginder, mohnish behl, neetu chandra, paresh rawal, power games, raima sen, rajat kapoor, ram gopal varma, riteish deshmukh, simone singh, space and time, stardom, suchitra krishnamurthy, throat competition