Rani’s ‘Aiyyaa’ character fan of Sridevi, Madhuri, JuhiSeptember 7th, 2012 - 1:47 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 7 (IANS) Rani Mukerji’s character in “Aiyyaa” takes inspiration from not one, or two but three actresses - Sridevi, Madhuri Dixit and Juhi Chawla.
“My character is a huge fan of Sridevi, Juhi and Madhuri. She dreams about them and goes into a fantasy world all the time,” Rani said at the first look of her film held here Thursday.
She came dressed as her character, Meenakshi Deshmukh, in an elegant yellow and green traditional Maharashtrian nauvari sari.
Rani revealed that her character is not “normal at all”. “She is completely mad and very filmy woman.”
Co-produced by Anurag Kashyap and Viacom 18 and directed by Sachin Kundalkar, “Aiyyaa” also stars southern actor Prithviraj and is due to release Oct 12.
Rani said she took a lot of help from her director to get the right Marathi look and feel.
“Sachin wanted a typical Marathi flavour right from costumes to dialect and pronunciation. You will see a lot of Marathi and south Indian flavour in the film.”
After critical acclaim for her intense and bold portrayal of a journalist in “No On Killed Jessica”, Rani said she was looking for a light-hearted film and that is when “Aiyyaa” came to her.
“When Anurag came to me, I told him I don’t want to do dark films. I told Anurag I want to do happy films and he told me he is offering me one,” she said.
“I wanted to do something different with him since I have known him for long. I know his quirky side. Since I had done dark films like ‘No One Killed Jessica’ and will be doing ‘Talaash’, I wanted to do something light,” she added.
- Triple bonanza for Rani in 'Aiyyaa' - Jun 16, 2012
- Rani wanted only Vaibhavi for 'Aiyya' - Aug 15, 2012
- Rani Mukerji's 'Aiyya' now set for Dussehra release - Jun 15, 2012
- A quirky love story on Rani's platter - Oct 04, 2011
- 'Halkat jawani' crosses 1 mn hits on YouTube (Movie Snippets) - Aug 28, 2012
- 'Halkat jawani' crosses 1 mn hits on YouTube (Movie Snippets) (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Now Rani does lavani item song in 'Aiyya' - Jul 16, 2012
- Bollywood should reflect regional sensibility: 'Aiyya' director (With Image) - Sep 06, 2012
- Anurag converted short film into 'Aiyyaa' - Sep 07, 2012
- I am biggest fan of Rani Mukerji: Prithviraj - Sep 14, 2012
- Nawaz, Manoj turn revolutionaries for 'Chittagong' (Movie Snippets) - Sep 07, 2012
- 'Dilli' will open 'No One Killed Jessica' with a bang: Composer - Dec 19, 2010
- 'English Vinglish' inspired by my mom: Gauri Shinde - Aug 14, 2012
- Lack of innocence in Hindi films worries Juhi (Movie Snippets) - Jul 19, 2012
- No rift between Rani and Vidya: Director - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: actor prithviraj, actresses, anurag kashyap, costumes, critical acclaim, dark films, deshmukh, dialect, fantasy world, indian flavour, journalist, juhi chawla, madhuri dixit, maharashtrian, portrayal, pronunciation, quirky side, rani mukerji, sari, viacom