Rangarajan, S M Krishna take oath as Rajya Sabha memberAugust 18th, 2008 - 5:32 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 18 (ANI): Noted economist and former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor C Rangarajan and former Karnataka Chief Minister S M Krishna took oath as members of the Rajya Sabha here today.
Vice President and Chairman of Rajya Sabha Hamid Ansari administered the oath to the new members in his chamber in Parliament House.
The ceremony was attended by Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
Rangarajan (76) resigned last week as the Chairman of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister. He filled the nominated seat, which had fallen vacant in the Upper House after the death of eminent Gandhian Nirmala Deshpande.
Rangarajan served for over a decade as a Deputy Governor of the RBI, after which he served as the Governor of the RBI between December 22, 1992 and December 21, 1997.
He also served as the Governor of Andhra Pradesh from November 24, 1997 to January 3, 2003. After demitting that office, he took charge as the Chairman of the Twelfth Finance Commission.
He also received additional charges as governor of Orissa from 1998 to 1999 and as governor of Tamil Nadu from 2001 to 2002.
While, Krishna a senior member of Congress party was elected to the Upper House in the recent elections. He is former Governor of Maharashtra and a former Chief Minister of Karnataka.
In addition, Krishna has served multiple terms as an MP from the Mandya district of Karnataka. (ANI)
- Mayawati takes oath as Rajya Sabha member - Apr 24, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned twice over 'quit Krishna' demand - Dec 09, 2011
- Sachin takes oath as Rajya Sabha member - Jun 04, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha - May 15, 2012
- Rangarajan for RBI intervention to check rupee fall - Nov 19, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for day - Apr 25, 2012
- Mayawati files nomination for Rajya Sabha - Mar 13, 2012
- Proposed Lokpal members to leave politics, business, have single term - Jun 24, 2011
- Karnataka gets cabinet; ex-minister jailed, Yeddyurappa, Kumaraswamy summoned (Night Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Rajya Sabha to take up Lokpal debate Thursday (Third Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Lok Sabha drops impeachment motion against Sen - Sep 05, 2011
- Porngate unfortunate, say BJP leaders (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- After Chidambaram, opposition now guns for Krishna - Dec 09, 2011
- Singhvi seeks leave for rest of budget session - May 04, 2012
Tags: c rangarajan, chief minister of karnataka, dr manmohan singh, economic advisory council, governor of maharashtra, karnataka chief minister, manmohan singh, rajya sabha, rbi governor, sabha member