Rajya Sabha clears copyright bill, B-Town hails Javed AkhtarMay 18th, 2012 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) With the Rajya Sabha passing an amendment to improve the rights of composers and writers, B-Town biggies Sonu Niigaam, Kailash Kher, Shabana Azmi and Rohit Roy have hailed veteran writer Javed Akhtar for his efforts in getting the measure through.
Akhtar has been pushing for an amendment in the copyright laws to give music directors and lyricists a share of the profits earned on their work. The amendment to the copyright act was passed by the Rajya Sabha Thursday and will now go to the Lok Sabha.
Akhtar’s wife Shabana was ecstatic.
“Hurrah copyright amendment bill passed in Rajya Sabha. Javed’s historic moment to give lyricists, composers 12 percent of their rightful share,” she tweeted.
Sonu wrote: “Copyright act passed by the Rajya Sabha… For not just the composers and lyrics writer but singers too. Congratulations. Kudos @Javedakhtarjadu.”
Akhtar and actress Jaya Bachchan spoke in support of amendments to the bill at the Rajya Sabha.
“Javed Akhtar is a real hero for fighting for all creative people. We are blessed to see the change and people behind it. Finally copyright is and will be defined in real now in our country, congratulations to all intellectual property owners, finally you are protected,” tweeted Kher.
“Copyright bill passed… Congrats Javed saab… All you efforts paid off,” tweeted Rohit, while Ehsaan Noorani of the famous trio Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy wrote: “@Javedakhtarjadu stellar speech in the RS! Many Congratulations on the bill being passed.”
- Javed thanks government, opposition for Copyright Bill - May 20, 2012
- Music creators welcome copyright amendment, industry unhappy - May 22, 2012
- Music industry hails new copyright law - May 23, 2012
- Stop creating confusion over copyright issue: Shabana (Movie Snippets) - May 19, 2012
- Parliament passes copyright amendment bill - May 22, 2012
- Parliament gives nod to strengthened copyright law (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Amended Copyright Act blessing for artists: Vishal Bhardwaj - Feb 15, 2011
- B-Town showers love, birthday blessings on Farhan - Jan 09, 2012
- Javed Akhtar hails young filmmakers, keen to watch 'Vicky Donor' - May 15, 2012
- Javed Akhtar takes copyright issue to global platform - Jun 17, 2011
- Changes to copyright act pit musicians against producers - Feb 21, 2011
- Rajya Sabha approves copyright amendment bill - May 18, 2012
- Javed Akhtar firm on higher royalty, copyright - Dec 25, 2010
- Lyricist Javed Akhtar In Demand of Royalty, Favoring Copyright Ammendment Bill - Dec 27, 2010
- Warm B-town welcome for Abhi-Ash's daugther - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: biggies, composers, copyright act, copyright amendment bill, hurrah, intellectual property owners, javed akhtar, jaya bachchan, kailash kher, Lok Sabha, loy, lyricists, music directors, noorani, rajya sabha, rightful share, rohit roy, shabana azmi, sonu niigaam, veteran writer