Rajnikanth undergoes dialysis, recovering (Lead)May 19th, 2011 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 19 (IANS) Tamil superstar Rajnikanth, admitted in the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre here, is improving after advanced treatment, including hemodialysis, doctors attending to him said Thursday.
The matinee idol was admitted to the hospital for recurrent respiratory infection and gastro-intestinal problems May 13 and was shifted to the intensive care unit (ICU) Wednesday to improve his breathing pattern.
“In case of disease, symptom relief is the first sign of recovery. It is so here in this case. The laboratory parameters are improving which also indicates path of recovery. The interventions in this case are hemodialysis and ultra filtration, which have helped him appreciably,” said a hospital medical bulletin Thursday.
“Because of various consequences, there was fluid overload and (this) necessitated advanced treatment, ultra filtration and some amount of hemodialysis,” the bulletin said.
Earlier, allaying the fears of Rajnikanth’s fans, his wife Latha Rajnikanth and his attending doctor told reporters that the actor is cheerful, progressing well to medication and is also cracking jokes.
“All his organs are fine and functioning well,” Latha said. This was confirmed by S. Thanikachalam, senior doctor and part of the team of specialists attending to the superstar.
According to Thanikachalam, the actor ate two idlis, one vada and also plantain stem rasam Thursday.
He said the actor may be transferred to a private room Thursday or Friday.
Latha said the imbalance created by an infection is being rectified and pleaded for privacy. She also denied reports that the actor is suffering from renal problems.
“He is not going to any other hospital. We are taking good care of him. He had an infection, that he could have contracted anywhere. It created an imbalance in the body, which is being corrected,” reiterated the doctor.
This is the third time in over three weeks the matinee idol has been admitted to a hospital.
He was admitted to St. Isabel Hospital April 29 after a bout of vomiting, and was discharged in the evening.
On May 5, he was again admitted to the ICU of St.Isabel Hospital after allergic bronchitis and fever.
- Rajnikanth responding well in ICU - May 19, 2011
- Bollywood prays for Rajnikanth's quick recovery - May 20, 2011
- Rajinikanth leaves for Singapore - May 28, 2011
- Rajnikanth progressing well in hospital - May 15, 2011
- Rajinikanth shifted to private ward from ICU (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Rajinikanth to be in ICU for some more time - May 22, 2011
- Rajinikanth now improving - May 21, 2011
- Rajinikanth discharged from Singapore hospital - Jun 15, 2011
- Amitabh, Dev Anand pray for Rajnikanth's health - May 19, 2011
- Rajinikanth condition stable - May 05, 2011
- Rajnikanth is taken ill, hospitalised - Apr 29, 2011
- Rajinikanth returns from Singapore - Jul 14, 2011
- Rajinikanth to return home Wednesday night - Jul 13, 2011
- Modi, Naidu call on Rajnikanth - May 16, 2011
- Rajnikanth's condition stable - May 18, 2011
Tags: breathing pattern, chennai, dialysis, disease symptom, filtration, fluid overload, gastro intestinal problems, hospital medical, intensive care unit, matinee idol, medical bulletin, medical centre, plantain, private room, renal problems, respiratory infection, sri ramachandra, symptom relief, third time, vada