Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna awards announcedAugust 19th, 2008 - 4:02 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 19 (ANI): The Government today announced the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and the Arjuna awards for the year 2007.
The Dhyan Chand award for the year 2008 and the Dronacharya award for the year 2007 have also been announced based on the recommendations of the selection committees constituted for the purpose.
The selection committee constituted under the chairmanship of Milkha Singh for selection of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, the Arjuna award and the Dhyan Chand award unanimously decided to select the outstanding sportspersons and coaches for the awards.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (cricket) will be honoured with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award.
The Arjuna awards will be given to Chitra K. Soman (athletics), Anup Sridhar (badminton), Johnson Varghese (boxing), Harika Dronavalli (chess), Arjun Atwal (golf), Probhjot Singh (hockey), Tombi Devi (judo), Bajranglal Takhar (rowing), Avneet Kaur Sidhu (shooting), Alka Tomar (wrestling) and Farman Basha (power lifting - disabled category. The Dhyan Chand awards will be given to Hakam Singh (athletics), Mukhbain Singh (hockey) and Gian Singh (wrestling). The Dronacharya awards will be given to Sanjeeva Kumar Singh (archery), Jagdish Singh (boxing), G.E. Sridharan (volley ball) and Jagminder Singh (wrestling). The Rajiv Gandhi award is given for the most spectacular and outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson in a year. It comprises a cash award of Rs. five lakh, a scroll of honour and a medal.
The Arjuna award is given to not more than fifteen sportspersons in a year who should have not only shown good performance consistently for the previous three years at the international level with excellence for the year for which award is recommended but also should have shown qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and a sense of discipline. It comprises a cash award of Rs. three lakh, a scroll of honour and a statute.
The Dhyan Chand award is given for life time achievement in sports and games to honour those sportspersons (not more than three in a year) who have contributed to sports by their performance and continue to contribute to promotion of sports even after their retirement from active sporting career and comprises a cash award of Rs. 3 lakh, a scroll of honor and a plaque.
The Dronacharya award is given to honour eminent coaches (not more than five in a year) who have successfully trained sportspersons or teams and enabled them to achieve outstanding results in international competitions and comprises a cash award of Rs. 3 lakh, a scroll of honour and a plaque.
The awards will be given by President Pratibha Patil on August 29. (ANI)
- 19 Arjuna Awards to be conferred this year - Aug 18, 2011
- P T Usha to head selection committee for National sports awards - Jul 23, 2010
- Govt. announces selection committees for national sports awards - Jul 22, 2010
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Saina Nehwal conferred Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award - Aug 29, 2010
- Ministry announces list of sports awards - Aug 05, 2010
- Cuban Fernandez, Yashvir to get Dronacharya Award - Aug 24, 2012
- No Bharat Ratna, just six Padma Shris for sportspersons - Jan 25, 2012
- Shuttler Saina Nehwal to receive 2010 Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna - Jul 30, 2010
- President confers National Sports Awards (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Yogeshwar, Vijay Kumar recommended for Khel Ratna - Aug 18, 2012
- Arjuna Award will be a great honour, says Yuvraj - Jul 07, 2012