Rajasthan set ‘Marigold Hotel’ has strong US openingMay 8th, 2012 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 8 (IANS) “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel”, the all-star comedy set in India’s Rajasthan state, generated a strong opening in North America as it debuted in limited release.
Its estimated earning of $750,000 from only 27 theaters for a per theatre average of $27,789 was second best among all films after “The Avengers”, according to Boxofficeguru.com.
Starring Judi Dench and Dev Patel and directed by the Oscar-nominated filmmaker John Madden (”Shakespeare in Love”), the international hit film played to packed houses in a dozen major cities in the US and Canada and will now expand to additional cities on May 11 and beyond.
Hotel ranks among the Top 15 at the North American box office, despite other films playing in thousands of theatres, and has won critical acclaim with Roger Ebert calling it “a charming, funny and heartwarming movie.”
Outside of the US, the ensemble hit also had an excellent opening in Mexico helping to raise the international total gross to an impressive $72.4 million thanks to incredibly successful runs in Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Germany, and the United Kingdom.
Hotel is expected to surpass $75 million in global box office by the time it releases in India on May 18.
The film follows a group of British retirees who decide to “outsource” their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India.
Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self.
Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rajasthan-set 'Marigold Hotel' makes top 10 in US - May 15, 2012
- 'The Best Exotic Marigold...' an exotic film, must watch! (IANS Movie Review) - May 18, 2012
- I was nervous about 'The Best Exotic...' weighty cast: Dev Patel (With Images) - May 14, 2012
- 'The Best Exotic...' takes gentle look at India: Lillete Dubey - May 20, 2012
- I don't compare myself with Freida: Tena Desae (With image) - May 27, 2012
- 'Double Dhamaal' earns big in North America - Jun 29, 2011
- Kissing scenes scare Tena Desae - Aug 22, 2012
- 'Bol Bachchan' has terrific opening in North America - Jul 10, 2012
- Pookutty to turn director to tell father-son story - Oct 29, 2010
- Bollywood debutant gets Hollywood chance with Dev Patel - Feb 15, 2011
- Resul Pookutty Ropes In Amitabh Bachchan For His Directorial Venture - Nov 01, 2010
- Dame Judi Dench breaks her toes - Feb 17, 2011
- Dame Judi Dench dating wildlife conservationist? - May 16, 2011
- Judi Dench voted greatest stage star - Dec 17, 2010
- Dame Judi Dench receives Dorchester Outstanding Achievement Award - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: advertisements, all star, american box office, arun kumar, avengers, critical acclaim, john madden, judi dench, kingdom hotel, life of leisure, major cities, north american box office, rajasthan state, retirement, roger ebert, shakespeare, shakespeare in love, shell, theaters, visions