Rahul Gandhi begins his three-day Punjab visitSeptember 22nd, 2008 - 3:17 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, Sept 22 (ANI): Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi began his three-day Punjab visit from here today.
The Amethi MP started his visit by paying obeisance at Golden Temple. He listened to the recital of Gurbani kirtan for few minutes in the morning. Amidst tight security, he also visited the community kitchen and had langer (meals) there.
He said that he is starting his Punjab visit with the blessings of Vahe Guru. He also paid tributes to the martyrs in the Jallianwala Bagh and visited Durgiana Mandir.
Rahul will go today to Mohali before touring the districts of Ropar, Fatehgarh Sahib, Patiala, Sangrur and Mansa. He is scheduled to interact with sports persons of Punjab at Kharar today and seek their suggestions to strengthen the sports policy of the country.
He will visit the districts of Bathinda, Muktsar, Faridkot, Ferozepur, Tarn Taran, Amritsar and Gurdaspur on Tuesday.
Before proceeding to the districts of Nawanshahr, Kapurthala and Ludhiana, he will participate in a Scheduled Caste (SC) convention and Girls” Convention at Jalandhar and Gurdaspur respectively.
Party in-charge of Punjab affairs Margaret Alva and former chief election commissioner J M Lyngdoh are accompanying Rahul.
Meanwhile, the proposed youth rally at Rampura Phul in Bathinda District, which was to be addressed by Rahul has been cancelled due to security reasons.
During his stay in the state, Rahul will hold road shows in Patiala, Fatehgarh Sahib and Sangrur districts as part of his efforts to boost the ongoing recruitment drive in Youth Congress ahead of the Lok Sabha elections early next year. (ANI)
- Development authorities to cover entire Punjab - Aug 18, 2010
- Punjab to set up 13 new colleges - Nov 14, 2009
- Punjab appoints Ombudsmen for rural jobs scheme - May 16, 2010
- World Kabaddi cup begins in Punjab Nov 1 - Oct 27, 2011
- Punjab approves 15 mega projects - Oct 25, 2010
- Punjab dissolves all improvement trusts - Jul 11, 2012
- Sirsa inundated, rescue work on in Haryana, Punjab (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Rescue work on in flood-hit Mansa in Punjab - Jul 14, 2010
- 13 new government colleges coming up in Punjab - Feb 04, 2010
- Flood situation improves in Haryana's Sirsa, grim in Mansa in Punjab (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2010
- Punjab comes to peacock's aid - Jun 02, 2011
- Flood situation grim in Punjab's Mansa district - Jul 15, 2010
- Flood situation grim in Punjab district (Lead) - Jul 14, 2010
- Punjab farmers stop trains, Badal warns of unrest - Oct 29, 2010
- Several villages cut off in Punjab's Mansa district - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: amethi, chief election commissioner, community kitchen, faridkot, fatehgarh sahib, golden temple, gurdaspur, jalandhar, jallianwala bagh, kapurthala, kirtan, lok sabha elections, obeisance, ongoing recruitment, phul, rahul gandhi, recruitment drive, sangrur, youth congress, youth rally