Rahman hopes ‘DAM 999′ brings back OscarDecember 21st, 2011 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Dec 21 (IANS) Oscar-winning Indian composer A.R. Rahman hopes Sohan Roy’s “DAM 999″, which stands to win nominations in the Best Film and Best Original Song categories at the 84th Academy Awards, will bring laurels to the nation just as he did for his work in Danny Boyle’s “Slumdog Millionaire”.
“It’s very exciting and I want someone to join my league,” Rahman told reporters here on the sidelines of the music launch of “Ek Deewana Tha”.
“DAM 999″ is among 265 films contending for the Best Picture nomination at the Oscars. Besides, three of its songs are among 39 shortlisted numbers that are up for nomination in the Original Song category.
The three songs from the film that are vying to be in the final nomination list are “Dakkanaga Dugu Dugu”, “DAM 999 Theme Song” and “Mujhe Chhod Ke”.
“I hope one of the songs wins the Oscar trophy,” said Rahman, who won two Oscars for his work in Danny Boyle’s “Slumdog Millionaire” in 2009 at the 81st Academy Awards.
He picked the double honour for Best Original Score and Best Original Song (”Jai Ho”). He was also nominated for the Oscar this year for “127 Hours”, but lost it to Randy Newman, who won it for “We Belong Together” in “Toy Story 3″.
For now, everyone is upbeat about the fate of “DAM 999″ at the announcement of the final 84th Academy Awards nominations, Jan 24, 2012, at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
- Now 'DAM 999' in Original Score Oscar race - Dec 24, 2011
- Indian film 'DAM 999' fails in Oscar journey - Jan 24, 2012
- 'DAM 999', its three songs in Oscar race (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- 'DAM 999' songs in Oscar race - Dec 20, 2011
- 'Adaminte Makan Abu' out of Oscar race - Jan 19, 2012
- 'DAM 999' maker awaits Oscar nomination with bated breath - Jan 23, 2012
- 'DAM 999' director unfazed about missing Oscar nomination - Jan 24, 2012
- Rahman loses BAFTA - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahman to perform at Oscars again - Feb 05, 2011
- Rahman loses out at Oscars, Indians disappointed (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- India-born Tariq Anwar misses Oscar for best editing - Feb 28, 2011
- Rahman's 'If I Rise' nominated for WSA - Aug 25, 2011
- Rahman in Oscar run again with two nominations for '127 Hours' - Jan 25, 2011
- 'Jai ho' Rahman at Golden Globe nominations again (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- A R Rahman Waiting For '127 Hours'! - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: academy awards, academy awards nominations, agra, best film, best original score, danny boyle, deewana, double honour, jai, laurels, music launch, original song, oscar trophy, randy newman, samuel goldwyn theater, sohan, song categories, song category, three songs, toy story 3