Rahman conferred honorary doctorate by AMUJune 7th, 2009 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Aligarh, June 7 (IANS) Oscar-winning music maestro A.R. Rahman was Sunday conferred an honorary doctorate by the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) at its 59th convocation. The composer, who said he was overwhelmed with the honour, urged more young people to join creative fields like arts and media.
“In a world of mass killings, terrorism and violence, we need positive emotions,” said Rahman.
Rahman also urged the youth to learn and join him in building a strong, harmonious India.
“I find a transcendent language that all can understand that can bring all together — a language that awakens in each of us an awareness that all energy is spiritual energy and the fate of one is linked to the fate of all,” said Rahman.
Quoting Nelson Mandela, he said: “Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. Education alone can eradicate poverty.”
Rahman ended his speech with “Jai Ho”, the song for which he got an Oscar.
Along with Rahman, eminent Urdu writer Gopi Chand Narang also received an honorary doctorate.
Talking about Urdu’s status among Indian languages he said it was as high and as exclusive as the Taj Mahal among buildings.
“Urdu is a language of plurality and openness. I denounce all kinds of totalitarianism and regimentation.
“To me Urdu is a way of life representing more than a thousand years of composite culture drawing sustenance from Amir Khusrau, Nanak, Nizammuddin and the contributions of Ghalib, Mir, Iqbal, Faiz, Firaq and Prem Chand,” he said.
West Bengal governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi was the chief guest along with Justice A.N. Ahmadi.
- A R Rahman conferred upon honorary doctorate - Jun 07, 2009
- Honorary doctorate for Rahman - May 27, 2009
- Jataka tales add to Buddhist books in Poland - Oct 09, 2011
- Promote mother tongue, AMU academics say - Feb 21, 2012
- Faiz Ahmed Faiz's poems translated into German - May 27, 2012
- AMU to confer doctorate on Manmohan, Sonia - Dec 22, 2009
- Pranab assures all help to AMU's new centres - Jun 13, 2011
- Aligarh Muslim University to honour A.R. Rahman - Feb 25, 2009
- AMU may get Indo-US energy centre - Jun 22, 2011
- AMU, Jakarta university to work closer together - Jun 11, 2011
- Faiz is beyond India-Pakistan politics: Daughter - Feb 12, 2011
- Indian stars enthral Pakistanis at Lahore peace fest - Feb 14, 2011
- Separate AMU union for girls - Sep 02, 2012
- Has Mirza Ghalib's birthplace forgotten its most famous son? - Dec 27, 2011
- AMU holds talks over tie up with American varsities - Mar 31, 2010
Tags: ahmadi, aligarh muslim university, amu aligarh, chief guest, composite culture, creative fields, fundamental freedoms, gopal krishna, honorary doctorate, human personality, indian languages, mass killings, music maestro, narang, nelson mandela, prem chand, spiritual energy, urdu writer, west bengal, winning music