Radio programme in Puerto Rico will only report good newsApril 26th, 2012 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
San Juan, April 26 (IANS/EFE) A radio programme in Puerto Rico will report only good news starting May 1.
The host of “Noticias OK”, Yalitza Navedo Roman, said Wednesday in a communique that the initiative arose after a survey was conducted among 100 residents of low-income communities, during which the participants asked the media to report positive news that was happening in their neighbourhoods.
“These figures are the basis for the birth of ‘Noticias OK’. That is, this media proposal was born in the heart of the people (who live in) public housing and special communities,” said Navedo Roman.
She said that the project will serve to “minimize the culture of violence” and contribute to peace in Puerto Rico, which registered a record 1,136 homicides in 2011.
“The distribution of news with a positive focus will be a balm that will … improve the quality of life on the island,” she said.
Other elements of the broadcast will include one called “Aplausos”, where the producers will recognize people who help their communities, and “Musica OK”, in which songs with positive messages will be played.
- Crime statistics won't be fudged: Puerto Rico top cop - May 17, 2012
- Ricky Martin to promote Puerto Rico tourism on world tour - Mar 15, 2011
- Ruben Blades, Cheo Feliciano release salsa CD - May 31, 2012
- Puerto Rico mulls curfew in response to crime wave - May 21, 2011
- Puerto Rican held for killing two in US - Aug 17, 2012
- Rapper releases new music video - Mar 01, 2012
- Roberto Duran bio-pic to begin filming in June - Apr 03, 2012
- Masked robbers strike at Puerto Rico casino - Sep 17, 2011
- Two dead in shooting at Puerto Rico concert - Feb 28, 2011
- Ricky Martin wraps up world tour - Nov 14, 2011
- Shakira in Puerto Rico to be with boyfriend - Aug 14, 2012
- Cheo Feliciano to join Dominican singer for his new album - Jul 07, 2011
- Spanish couple wins Puerto Rico Salsa Congress - Aug 01, 2011
- Ricky Martin to marry boyfriend Jan 28 - Jan 03, 2012
- Ricky Martin's new album doing well - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,