Rachael Ray: Shaun White, CoJo, and Pilgrim SandwichesOctober 10th, 2011 - 10:55 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Oct 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Rachael Ray opened her show today with recipes for sandwiches in her ‘Sammie Smackdown’. She wishes all of America a Happy Columbus Day. She featured a “Pilgrim Sandwich” first, which fit for the Holiday, but would also be a great after-Thanksgiving meal. Rachael says this sandwich is a favorite in the New England states. (Recipe for the Pilgrim Sandwich can be found at the end of this article.)
Olympic Gold Medalist Shaun White was a guest on the show. Rachael wanted to know where he keeps his gold medals and how he has creatively used them, such as the dating scene, speeding tickets, etc. He says it is the ultimate free parking pass. Shaun keeps his medals in a sock drawer, where they are easily reached because so often, people ask to see them. He shared a funny tale of how his mom took the medal to the dry cleaners. “You just dropped it off at a random dry cleaners?” he laughed. But he did get them back. For those who are wondering: the price of getting your gold medal cleaned-$5.00.
Steven “Cojo” Cojocaru was also Rachael’s guest for the day. Steven has been calling the stars out on the red carpet for their fashion sense for years. He shared with Rachael that no one ever feels beautiful on the runway, and added that even Halli Berry and Jennifer Lopez have told him that they were self conscious on the red carpet. Steven did a make-over for Tina, who is turning fifty and has never had her “shining moment.” Her daughter explains that Tina had never felt beautiful, and she wants that for her mom. Tina was beautiful in a gold dress, black jacket, and shorter hair cut with red tones.
3 store-bought corn muffins, crumbled or diced
1 tbsp. EVOO
3 tbsp. butter
1 Macintosh. Honey crisp or gala apple, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, chopped
Salt and pepper
Small handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
A few sprigs of thyme
1- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
1/2 cup vegan or regular mayo
4 crusty hoagie or ciabatta rolls (8 inch), split
1 1/2 lbs. fresh, thick deli-sliced roast turkey breast or hand-sliced rotisserie turkey breast
1 lb. sliced sharp white cheddar cheese
Thinly sliced red onions and sliced cornichons, for topping
1.Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the broiler. Brown the corn muffin pieces on a baking sheet, tossing once, for about 5 minutes.
2.In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pa, over medium-high heat; melt in the butter. Add the apple, onion and celery; season with salt and pepper. Cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the muffin pieces, parsley, poultry seasoning and thyme. Moisten with the chicken stock to your liking, 1 to 1 1/2 cups. Turn off the heat.
3.Mix the cranberry sauce with the vegan mayo (or regular) and slather it on the roll tops. Assemble the sandwiches on the rolls bottoms with the cornbread stuffing, sliced turkey and cheese. Broil to melt the cheese. Top with the onion, cornichons and rolls tops.
- Rachael Ray: Extreme Couponing, Salma Hayek - Sep 21, 2011
- Bill Clinton Stars on 'Rachael Ray' Show - Sep 20, 2011
- Rachael Ray Stars NKOTB's Donnie Wahlberg - Sep 23, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Nick Lachey of 'The Sing Off' Stars - Oct 04, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Hugh Jackman Visits, Bobby Flay Cooks! - Oct 15, 2011
- Celine Dion & Kristin Chenoweth Stop by 'Rachael Ray Show' - Sep 29, 2011
- Chef's Choice (To go with Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens) - Mar 23, 2012
- Rachael Ray: Catering Kim Kardashian's Wedding Shower - Oct 11, 2011
- Dr Oz: For Those Turning 40 - Oct 18, 2011
- Two right royal recipes from an Indian princess (To go with IANS Book Review) - Jul 14, 2011
- Giant burger sets new world record - Sep 04, 2012
- Rachael Ray: Rachel Bilson Gives Fashion Advice - Oct 12, 2011
- Some fruity, flavoured summer drinks (To go with summer drinks story) - May 23, 2011
- Beer batter squids, anybody? Or beer cheese soup? (Eating out with IANS) - Dec 14, 2010
- Rachael Ray in the Kitchen with Tyra Banks and Rocco DiSpirito - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: corn muffins, dry cleaners, fashion sense, gold dress, gold medals, honey crisp, new england states, olympic gold medalist, olympic gold medalist shaun white, rachael ray, red carpet, ribs celery, salt and pepper, shining moment, sock drawer, speeding tickets, steven cojo cojocaru, thanksgiving meal, tsp, turning fifty