Rachael Ray in the Kitchen with Tyra Banks and Rocco DiSpiritoOctober 6th, 2011 - 2:13 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Oct 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Tyra Banks was a guest star on today’s episode of ‘The Rachael Ray Show’, where Rachael admitted being “a little gay” for the model, and shared a story about playing a game of ‘Spin the Bottle.’ And it seems the feelings are mutual!
As Tyra sat with Rachael to give her expert beauty advice to the audience, Rachael revealed her “girl crush” on Tyra, and the two discussed setting a play date of sorts, where they could play ‘Spin the Bottle’ themselves. Tyra laughed, “You’re gay for me? Aw, I’m so gay for you, too!”
As the two women discussed plans for their future play date, Rachael remarked that is her husband was watching the show, he probably just fell over. Tyra is well known in one hundred and seventy countries, as her reality show ‘America’s Next Top Model’ expands all over the globe. She also has a new book out entitled, ‘Modelland’.
For Rachael’s cooking segment of the show, Tyra and Rocco DeSpirito showed how to cook Rocco’s Flash Fried Chicken Nuggets.
1 small red onion, sliced in half and thinly sliced
5 whole ripe fresh limes, 1 cut into 4 wedges
2 quarts grapeseed or corn oil
16 ounces chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
3 1/4 tablespoons adobo powder, Goya or similar
2 egg whites
2 1/2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup fine ground yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
Freshly ground black pepper
4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
16 cherry tomatoes, stems removed and washed
1/2 ripe hass avocado, peeled and cut into 8 chunks
1 bunch cilantro
1 spicy red or green jalapeño, sliced as thin as possible
1. Place the sliced red onions in a small stainless steel bowl. With a fine grater or zester, zest the skin of 1 lime over the onions. Cut the 4 whole limes in half crosswise and squeeze all the juice over the onions. Add a tiny pinch of salt and mix, and make sure all the onions are in the lime juice; you can use the squeezed limes as a weight to push down any onions sticking out of the juice. The onions will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
2. Pour the oil into a large, heavy pot that has at least a 6-quart capacity. Heat the oil over medium-high heat on the stove to 400°F. Meanwhile, place a chicken thigh on the cutting board and cut into 4 to 5 even-sized chunky pieces and repeat until all thighs are done. Lay out all of the chicken chunks on a microwave safe plate and season both sides with 1/4 tablespoon of adobo powder as well as salt and pepper. Place the plate in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove the plate and turn each piece of chicken over and microwave again on high until the chunks are just cooked though, about another 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on your microwave. Let the chicken cool to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile place the egg whites into a bowl and beat with a fork until very foamy, about 2 minutes. In a wide and shallow bowl or cake pan, mix the remaining 3 tablespoons of adobo powder and paprika with the cornmeal and whole wheat flour. Submerge the cooked chicken pieces in the eggwhites and toss to coat well with a fork, then move the chicken to the shallow bowl with the seasoned whole wheat flour and cornmeal mix. Toss the chicken to coat well, spread the chicken out in one layer over the flour mix and let sit while you assemble the salad.
4. Wash and dry your hands thoroughly then assemble the salad by placing the shredded iceberg lettuce in a bowl with the cherry tomatoes. Drain the lime juice from the onions and reserve the leftover lime juice. Next, add the onions to the salad with a dash of salt and 2 tablespoons of the reserved lime juice from the onions and toss to dress evenly. On four serving plates, heap the salad in the middle of each plate and place the avocado slices equally over each of the salads.
5. In four separate even-sized batches, fry the chicken for 12 seconds per batch then remove the chicken from the oil to a plate with either a wire rack on top or paper towels to drain off any excess oil. Turn the stove off immediately under the hot oil after your last batch. Arrange the cooked chicken evenly around the salad of each of the four plates and lay four cilantro sprigs over each salad and serve with lime wedges and sliced jalapeño.
- Rachael Ray: Extreme Couponing, Salma Hayek - Sep 21, 2011
- Recipes by celebrity NRI chef Vikas Khanna (To go with: 'No secrets in kitchen' is celebrity Indian chef's mantra) - May 08, 2012
- Rachael Ray: Poppy Montgomery & Linda Evans - Oct 18, 2011
- Celine Dion & Kristin Chenoweth Stop by 'Rachael Ray Show' - Sep 29, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Hugh Jackman Visits, Bobby Flay Cooks! - Oct 15, 2011
- Rachael Ray Stars NKOTB's Donnie Wahlberg - Sep 23, 2011
- Chef's Choice (To go with Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens) - Mar 23, 2012
- Bill Clinton Stars on 'Rachael Ray' Show - Sep 20, 2011
- Being Bengali: Two Puja food recipes (To go with 'Fish to brinjal fry...take your pick at Puja') - Oct 03, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Nick Lachey of 'The Sing Off' Stars - Oct 04, 2011
- Rachael Ray: 'Jo Frost' & 'The Cake Boss' Join the Team - Oct 03, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Rachel Bilson Gives Fashion Advice - Oct 12, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Catering Kim Kardashian's Wedding Shower - Oct 11, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Shaun White, CoJo, and Pilgrim Sandwiches - Oct 10, 2011
- Beer batter squids, anybody? Or beer cheese soup? (Eating out with IANS) - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: 2 quarts, bunch cilantro, cherry tomatoes, chicken nuggets, chicken thighs, egg whites, freshly ground black pepper, hass avocado, lime juice, rachael ray show, red onion, red onions, rocco despirito, rocco dispirito, shredded iceberg lettuce, stainless steel bowl, sweet hungarian paprika, tiny pinch, whole wheat flour, yellow cornmeal