Puerto Rican musician Yomo Toro diesJuly 3rd, 2012 - 11:45 am ICT by IANS
New York, July 3 (IANS/EFE) Iconic Puerto Rican guitarist Yomo Toro has died in a New York hospital of kidney failure, his family announced Monday. He was 78.
“Funeral arrangements and viewing will be announced shortly. On behalf of the Toro family we wish to thank everyone for their well wishes and outpouring of love and emails and especially for their request for privacy during this time,” the National Institute for Latino Policy said in a statement.
Born Victor Guillermo Toro Vega Ramos Rodriguez July 26, 1933, in Ensenada, Yomo came to be called “the king of the cuatro”, a 10-string Puerto Rican guitar.
Toro, nicknamed “Yomo” by his father, began to play music at age 6 and at 15 he formed the La Bandita de la Escuela trio and continued his musical career by performing at events with trios, as well as on the radio program “La montana canta”.
His greatest success came with La Fania, founded in 1968 along with Larry Harlow on the piano, Nicky Marrero and Roberto Roena on percussion, Ray Barreto on the congas, Bobby Valentin on the bass, Alfredo De La Fe on the violin and Colon on the trombone, among others.
Yomo Toro recorded 150 albums over a career of more than five decades and worked extensively with artists from other music genres, including Harry Belafonte, Paul Simon, Linda Rondstadt and David Byrne.
During the 1960’s and early ’70s, he presented a television programme in which he interviewed personalities from the Hispanic world.
The guitarist was admitted to the Montefiore Medical Center and while he was being treated there his wife Minerva and his daughter Denise, as well as other relatives, remained close at hand.
- Three die in Puerto Rico nursing home fire - Sep 05, 2012
- Feliciano's new CD dedicated to Elvis Presley - Jan 12, 2012
- Reggaeton duo film documentary in Cuba - Jan 31, 2012
- Cheo Feliciano to join Dominican singer for his new album - Jul 07, 2011
- Ricky Martin fans to celebrate his 40th birthday - Dec 24, 2011
- Ricky Martin receives Spanish citizenship - Nov 05, 2011
- Ricky Martin to be teacher in TV series - Feb 07, 2012
- Kids show gets 5 Emmy nominations - Oct 19, 2011
- Puerto Rican boxer shot dead - Jun 09, 2011
- Spanish couple wins Puerto Rico Salsa Congress - Aug 01, 2011
- Ricky Martin nominated for award for `Evita' role - Apr 28, 2012
- Puerto Rican held for killing two in US - Aug 17, 2012
- Puerto Rican rapper releases new album - Nov 02, 2011
- Wisin, Yandel hope for P.Diddy collaboration on new disc - Aug 17, 2011
- Ricky Martin sells Miami Beach mansion for $10.6 mn - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: alfredo de la fe, bobby valentin, daughter denise, funeral arrangements, guillermo toro, harry belafonte, hispanic world, kidney failure, la fania, larry harlow, linda rondstadt, montefiore medical center, more than five decades, music genres, musical career, ray barreto, roberto roena, television programme, well wishes, yomo toro