Puerto Rican bomba a hit across USMarch 21st, 2012 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 21 (IANS/EFE) Bomba, Puerto Rico’s oldest musical rhythm, is growing in the US thanks to workshops given by maestro Angel Luis Reyes.
Born in Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico, but raised in New York, Reyes was still a youngster when he learned to play percussion and joined a group of musicians including Jose Feliciano that in 1977 launched the Bomba Symphonic Orchestra.
On a recent trip to give a workshop in Columbia, capital of South Carolina, Reyes told EFE that bomba continues “to grow both in Puerto Rico and in the United States”.
“I give a lot of credit to the folks in New York and Chicago, but there is also bomba in Seattle, where even people of Chinese descent sing and dance it in their own language. The idea is for everyone to keep this feeling alive,” he said.
“In Puerto Rico a lot of young people do it,” the maestro said. “Even when they’re rapping and break dancing, they do it to bomba rhythms with a modern twist. No less than 10 generations have kept it going.”
- Two dead in shooting at Puerto Rico concert - Feb 28, 2011
- Cheo Feliciano to join Dominican singer for his new album - Jul 07, 2011
- Rosa performs with Blades, Guerra - Apr 02, 2012
- Ruben Blades, Cheo Feliciano release salsa CD - May 31, 2012
- Dominican singer to begin world tour - Jul 11, 2011
- Feliciano's new CD dedicated to Elvis Presley - Jan 12, 2012
- Ricky Martin wraps up world tour - Nov 14, 2011
- Rapper releases new music video - Mar 01, 2012
- Crime statistics won't be fudged: Puerto Rico top cop - May 17, 2012
- Puerto Rico mulls curfew in response to crime wave - May 21, 2011
- Ex-Miss Universe resumes acting career after having baby - Aug 04, 2012
- Puerto Rican rappers sing on social ills - Jul 03, 2011
- Alligator found in Puerto Rico parking lot - Jul 22, 2010
- Ricky Martin Foundation trains people to fight human trafficking - Jun 15, 2010
- Puerto Rico to have Caribbean's largest solar project - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: angel luis, capital of south carolina, carolina reyes, chinese descent, columbia capital, efe, generations, jose feliciano, luis reyes, maestro, march 21, musical rhythm, musicians, percussion, puerto rican, rhythms, rio piedras puerto rico, seattle, symphonic orchestra, youngster