Publisher regrets suggesting Obama assassinationJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 22 (IANS) A Jewish newspaper columnist has apologised for suggesting that Israel assassinate US President Barack Obama.
Andrew Adler wrote that ordering Obama’s assassination could be one of three ways to protect the people of Israel. He made the controversial statement in the Atlanta Jewish Times, a paper which serves the Jewish community in Atlanta, the Daily Mail reported.
Adler suggested that attacking Hezbollah and Hamas or ordering the destruction of Iran’s nuclear facilities were also a possibility.
In his article, the columnist wrote: “Yes, you read “three” correctly. Order a hit on a president in order to preserve Israel’s existence.
“Think about it. If I have thought of this Tom Clancy-type scenario, don’t you think that this is almost unfathomable idea has been discussed in Israel’s most inner circles?
“Another way of putting ‘three’ in perspective goes something like this: How far would you go to save a nation comprised of seven million lives…Jews, Christians and Arabs alike?
“You have got to believe, like I do, that all options are on the table.”
Adler was presenting a hypothetical situation from the perspective of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s potentially disastrous conflicts with the Arab world.
While issuing an apology, Adler said he only wrote the piece to provoke a reaction from his readers.
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Netanyahu injured in friendly soccer match - Jun 12, 2012
- Israel may force non-Jewish citizens to vow loyalty to state - Oct 08, 2010
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Don't date Arab men: Rabbis' wives to Israeli girls - Dec 30, 2010
- Israel's ultimatum to Obama on Iran n-plans - Mar 04, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Israeli embassy car targetted in Delhi, four injured in blast (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- Netanyahu calls for early polls in Israel - May 07, 2012
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
- Only 27 remain, but Jews love Kolkata (Feature) - May 27, 2012
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: andrew adler, arab world, arabs, atlanta jewish times, barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, controversial statement, daily mail, hamas, hezbollah, hypothetical situation, inner circles, israeli prime minister, jewish community, london jan, minister benjamin netanyahu, newspaper columnist, nuclear facilities, prime minister benjamin, three ways