Prince Harrys narrow escape from death in AfghanistanJune 15th, 2008 - 1:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 15 (ANI): Britains Prince Harry had a narrow escape from death just days before he was pulled out of Afghanistan.
During operations outside Musa Qala in Helmand Province in February, a rocket exploded just 50 metres from the young royal.
He had to dive for cover as shrapnel from the 170mm missile whistled narrowly over his head and his patrol.
He was luckythe strike was well within shrapnel range of where he was, News of the World quoted a senior military source, as saying.
It was a bit hairy and it certainly got the blood pumping.
But the princes thoughts were typically with his men and after the attack ended he called in a Chinook helicopter to evacuate any wounded.
Then he went straight back out on patrol, the source added.
Fortunately Harry and his men all escaped unscathed in the attack.
Harry, who spent 10 weeks serving in the countrys danger zone, was pulled out of Afghanistan amid concerns for his safety and after a news blackout deal over his tour of duty was broken by foreign media. (ANI)
- Prince Harry to train in US as chopper pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Bloodshed at picnic: 17 Afghan civilians killed by Taliban - Aug 27, 2012
- 22 Taliban, five cops killed in Afghan attack - Jul 08, 2012
- UK war effort in Helmand branded 'utter failure' by US, Afghanistan: Wikileaks - Dec 03, 2010
- 'Prince William will not allow marriage to disrupt dream of fighting in Afghanistan' - Apr 23, 2011
- NATO forces 'may abandon most of northern Helmand' - Nov 09, 2009
- Prince Harry chooses to fly Apache attack helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Prince Harry unhurt after falling from horse - Jun 28, 2010
- 18 dead in Afghan suicide bombings - Apr 10, 2012
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2011
- Drama to show Prince Harry in Taliban custody - Oct 06, 2010
- Taliban promise to capture, kill Prince Harry - Feb 11, 2012
- Prince Harry to return to Afghan combat duty - Jun 16, 2011
- Prince Harry to return to Afghanistan's frontline areas - Jan 02, 2011
- Spain to pull out from Afghanistan - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, britains prince, chinook helicopter, danger zone, london, military source, missile, narrow escape, news blackout, news of the world, prince harry, prince harrys, princes, qala, shrapnel, tour of duty