Prince Harry visits the cell Nelson Mandela was imprisoned inAugust 4th, 2008 - 3:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 4 (ANI): Prince Harry, 23, and his Army colleagues made a trip to the cell where Nelson Mandela had been imprisoned for 18 years.
Harry made the humbling trip to mark the end of their training in South Africa.
It sends a shiver down your spine, British tabloid The Sun quoted him as saying.
Harry had taken 26 comrades from Cape Town to ex-leper colony Robben Island to see the 7ft by 8ft room holding a straw bed, worn blankets, and tiny window.
The three-and-a-half-hour trip included a talk on brutal jail life by an ex-political prisoner.
Harry has read Mandelas autobiography and idolises him. He thought it a very good thing for the men to experience and later spent a moment in quiet reflection, an Army colleague said.
The Prince and his pals also got to see the quarries where the anti-apartheid leader did hard labour after being jailed in 1964.
He and the group were also photographed at a school for Aids orphans, which they built in honour of late mum Princess Diana.
They will fly home later this week.
Mandela, now 90, was moved to a mainland jail in 1982 and freed in 1990. (ANI)
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012
- South Africa celebrates Nelson Mandela's 93rd birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Mandela,ex-wife Winnie celebrate 20 years of his freedom from jail - Feb 06, 2010
- Nelson Mandela book "Conversations with Myself" offers unique personal portrait - Oct 11, 2010
- Delhi toasts spirit of Nelson Mandela - Jul 18, 2011
- Latest Death Rumor: Nelson Mandela Dead - Dec 17, 2009
- Google to donate 1.25 million dollars for Nelson Mandela's archive - Mar 10, 2011
- Former South African President Mandela goes home to rest - May 23, 2011
- South Africa to celebrate Mandela's 94th birthday in style - Jun 08, 2012
- Mandela's arrest site turned into memorial - Aug 07, 2012
- Millions of South African students greet Mandela on birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Nelson Mandela's ex Winnie to have her own opera - Dec 28, 2010
- Nelson Mandela hospitalised after stomach complaint (Lead) - Feb 25, 2012
- South African speaker toasts Mandela-Gandhi spirit - Jul 10, 2012
- Northeast tribal chiefs to honour Mandela - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: aids orphans, apartheid, autobiography, british tabloid the sun, cape town, comrades, hard labour, jail life, leper colony, nelson mandela, political prisoner, prince harry, princess diana, quarries, quiet reflection, robben island, shiver, straw bed, tabloid the sun, tiny window