Prince Andrew’s ex-wife sued by lawyers over debtsApril 23rd, 2010 - 1:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 23 (IANS) The Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson is being taken to the High Court for debts of more than 200,000 pounds (more than $300,000) by a leading legal firm, says a report.
Dailymail.co.uk reports that Prince Andrew’s ex-wife is being sued by Mayfair solicitors Davenport Lyons for work on a deal to turn her children’s books into an animated television series, which has since hit the buffers.
The firm also helped to create and protect a trademark under which the Duchess planned to market a range of ‘lifestyle’ goods on satellite shopping channel QVC, which included biscuit tins and household furniture called ‘From the Heart With…’.
It is understood that she plans to contest the case, but if she loses she could be declared bankrupt.
Although she was once married to the Queen’s son, the Duchess is understood to have few assets of her own. She received just 300,000 pounds from her divorce, does not have a property in Britain and even her car is lent to her by an on-off boyfriend.
According to the writ, obtained exclusively by the Daily Mail, eight invoices ranging from 12,000 pounds to 65,000 pounds were sent to ‘the defendant’ between April and July last year.
She is listed under her maiden name of Sarah Ferguson but gives her ex-husband’s 30-bedroomed official residence, Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park, as her address.
Although the couple (Andrew and Sarah) divorced 14 years ago, they remain close and for the last few years Sarah has lodged with Andrew and their two daughters.
Several reminders chasing the invoices were subsequently sent in the form of letters and emails but were all ignored, as was a request to discuss a ‘credible payment plan’.
It wasn’t until October that she finally agreed to an initial payment of 30,000 pounds with a further 50,000 pounds to come.
The cheque never materialised, however, and the following month Sarah admitted that she could only afford to hand over 10,000 pounds because she said she had been short-changed by her business partners.
But she also attempted to smooth over the situation, claiming that she was ‘close to other ventures so we can keep to our word of getting some more money to you’.
- Sarah Ferguson To Appear On The "Oprah Winfrey Show" - May 28, 2010
- Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson caught on tape selling access to her ex-husband for money - May 23, 2010
- Duchess of York not invited to William's wedding - Feb 19, 2011
- Sarah Ferguson clears part of $7mn debt thanks to Oprah - Mar 07, 2011
- Queen, Prince Charles back Duchess of York - May 31, 2010
- Prince Andrew forgives Fergie over 'cash for access' scam - May 26, 2010
- Royal filmed seeking bribe, Britain stunned (Lead) - May 24, 2010
- Royal outcaste Fergie to get invited to Will and Kate's wedding - Jan 23, 2011
- Sorry, says British royal after seeking bribe - May 24, 2010
- Sarah Ferguson gets measly $21,500 a year from Prince Andrew - May 25, 2010
- Cash-strapped Duchess of York to sell family silver 'live on TV' - Dec 20, 2009
- Ferguson's 9/11 kids book rejected - Jul 06, 2011
- Duchess of York - Sarah Ferguson is in debt and almost broke - Aug 08, 2010
- Fergie hasn't always been so greedy: Biographer - May 31, 2010
- Fergie turned down $3mn Saudi Prince sex offer: Biographer - May 31, 2010
Tags: animated television series, biscuit tins, daily mail, davenport lyons, defendant, duchess of york, duchess of york sarah ferguson, household furniture, initial payment, invoices, maiden name, mayfair, prince andrew, qvc, s books, sarah ferguson, shopping channel, solicitors, two daughters, windsor great park