Presidential race: Obama and McCain evenSeptember 16th, 2008 - 3:22 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept.16 (ANI): John McCain and Barack Obama have 50 days left to determine who among them will be the United States 44th President.
Heading into the frenzied final weeks, national polls remain essentially even.
If the trends are to be believed, the numbers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and Virginia will be crucial to who will win and who will lose the election, reports the New York Daily News.
McCain leads in Ohio, Obama in Pennsylvania and Michigan, but all dozen contests are tight.
The state of the economy at the time of going to vote will also be a key factor.
Voters are jittery about high gas prices, housing woes and the lousy stock market. Obama will hammer away on pocketbook issues.
His strategists believe he can win big if the economy doesn”t look better soon.
The first debate is September 26, in Oxford, Missourie.
Early voting begins in bellwether Ohio on September 30. A strong - or weak - performance in the first debate could impact early birds.
The October 2 vice presidential debate in St. Louis may draw a bigger audience than the Top Guns” joust.
The Bureau of Labor of Statistics will release the final unemployment numbers before the balloting October 3. Bad news usually hurts the party in power.
The second debate in Nashville, Tennessee on October 7 will see both Obama and McCain having learnt from Round One.
The October 15 finale at Hofstra will allow voters three weeks to process.
Election Day falls on a Tuesday. (ANI)
- Obama faces uphill climb, swing states poll indicate - Nov 05, 2011
- Obama heading for political trench warfare between 2010 and 2012 - Nov 14, 2010
- Obama now holds double digit lead in key battleground states - Oct 14, 2008
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Democrats not happy with Romney's first TV ad - Nov 22, 2011
- McCain trails Obama in battleground states - Nov 03, 2008
- Defensive McCain faces uphill task to the White House - Oct 17, 2008
- McCain commends Obama on bin Laden killing - May 02, 2011
- After five-state sweep, Romney readies to battle Obama (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Barack Obama wins US presidential election - Nov 05, 2008
- Obama leading in key swing state Ohio: FOX News/Rasmussen Poll - Oct 14, 2008
- Now it's up to voters in historic US elections - Nov 03, 2008
- Obama poised to win as polls open in historic US election (Lead) - Nov 04, 2008
- 'Joe the Plumber' wins seat on Ohio GOP committee - May 06, 2010
- Obama poised for a historic win with no surge for McCain (Lead) - Nov 03, 2008
Tags: 44th president, barack obama, bellwether, early birds, early voting, florida colorado, john mccain, joust, lousy stock, mexico missouri, missourie, nashville tennessee, national polls, new york daily news, ohio pennsylvania, pocketbook issues, presidential race, top guns, unemployment numbers, vice presidential debate